Why no Production Skookum Bushtool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Well, and can you say if one is better than the other or are they just a bit different but in the end equally usefull?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I was trying to remember the name of this company.
$195 for a very well done version of the Woodlore shape.

I find it fascinating contrasting the knives and prices of Adventure Sworn with Ember Leaf.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Well, and can you say if one is better than the other or are they just a bit different but in the end equally usefull?
The one for which I always reach is the S30V Rod Garcia Skookum Bush Tool. Of the three, I find it the most useful and serviceable of the lot - a great steel and a great grind. I know that some folk have rolled the edge of a Skookum but, in over ten years of pretty continual use, I've never experienced that; but then again, I tend to look after it!

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Is the grind different between both Skookums? Or does the O1 simply become dull sooner?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The grinds appear to be the same but it is the blade shape that is subtly different. Don't get me wrong: I really enjoy using both of them; it's just when I have to choose one, it's usually the S30V one. Maybe it does hold its edge for a wee bit longer - I don't know. What I do realise is that I'm lucky to have them both.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
I was trying to remember the name of this company.
$195 for a very well done version of the Woodlore shape.

I find it fascinating contrasting the knives and prices of Adventure Sworn with Ember Leaf.
I bought a custom Mountaineer a couple or so years back. By the time I had paid postage and packing from the U.S., customs duties and Uk import duties adding well over £100 to the price there wasn't a lot of difference between the A.S. and an Emberleaf R.M.

Emerson

Jan 11, 2009
IL
www.edcknives.com
I recently wrote to Benchmade, they do not take any advice for fear of litigation. I think Cold Steel could make one in 3V with the standard Plastic handles they have and a securex sheath for around $30 dollars perhaps slightly less and it would be the hottest thing that would defeat mora IMO

Reactions: Nice65
Sep 16, 2018
Toulouse, France
I received some weeks ago a Woodlore-like from Pokluda. Steel is Vanadis 4 extra. Handle is in stabilized Walnut. The blade is 10.5 cm with a 12° dps true scandi grind. Sheath is made of thick leater. The knife is nice and a real joy to use.
Price is a little higher than 200 euros, VAT and postage included.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
If you pay attention you will find that everybody said, that the classical woodhandle Mora knives weren't far away from being the optimal survival knives if they would have a thicker blade and full tang construction. You actually find videos where you see Mors Kochanski using them.

You can find at YouTube videos where Paul Kirtley and Dave Canterbury recommend the Morakniv Garberg.

It's cheap and fulfills the specifications that peple were asking for.
Although it's a hidden tang it's also a full tang.
The Nylon handle is unbreakable.
It nearly fits the specifications the Swedish air force did ask for when they ordered the Fällkniven F1. The blade is just a bit thinner but made of a very good steel.

That's in my opinion exactly the knife all experts were asking for over decades.

And what Brisa and Caström mainly offer fulfills these specifications as well.
plus for the lo cost of a Mora you get a lifetime warranty

thereby no need to pay more than the actual need elsewhere a the Mora is a good all rounder within its physical size, with many a youtube video showing it many uses

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
I recently wrote to Benchmade, they do not take any advice for fear of litigation. I think Cold Steel could make one in 3V with the standard Plastic handles they have and a securex sheath for around $30 dollars perhaps slightly less and it would be the hottest thing that would defeat mora IMO
does Benchmade offer a similar lifetime warranty to Mora...??

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
No idea if it’s of interest but White River have just released a beautiful little knife which is a nice twist on a Skookum/Pukko.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE