Why my postie isn't getting a tip this year...

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I think the RM are looking at customer defined time slots as a potential way forward. As already mentioned, others do it and perhaps RM are aiming to implement something prior to the privatisation ??? :dunno:

Locally, we went through a phase of being knocked up at stupid o'clock* to accept parcels with normal 'goes quietly through the letter box' post being delivered sometime between 10:30 and 13:30.

* And bless the posties for knocking quietly so's not to annoy sleeping neighbours :rolleyes: :banghead: .

Oooooh wonder how much that'll cost, peeps will be moaning about the price of stamps soon :D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Oooooh wonder how much that'll cost, peeps will be moaning about the price of stamps soon :D

That's why the cost of stamps under went that price hike April just gone ~ to make the sell off more attractive / viable to potential buyers and purchasers ;) .

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You would've thought by now that they'd be delivering to domestic addresses in the evenings when people are actually home

We used to do evening deliveries at the RM years ago, it wasn't cost effective though. Believe it or not, less people were home.
We also used to get stuck in rush hour traffic, tripped over things in the dark on the way to the door (somebody should really invent a torch that mounts to your head with a little strap) and it was very unpopular as people were forced to work later for the same money.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
City Link get it right- never a failed delivery! UK Mail get it right - never a failed delivery! DPD get it right - never a failed delivery! UPS get it right - never a failed delivery! Good grief even PARCEL FARCE get it right! I get a fair number of deliveries, all of them successfully delivered by various couriers, but 'postman Pat' just can't cut it!

Now I have a hyperactive jack russell terrier dog who runs to the door, barking like a doberman on speed, if someone WALKS along the other side of the road from the house. Even if he's asleep! Just recently, i.e since the 'New World Order of deliveries' commenced, he's only barked when the red note comes through the door. Odd that, as from the standard of the writing, I'd suggest the note was probably written in the van, while on the move... could it be the spare posty they now have in the passenger seat of the van that brings the 'deliveries' do ya think?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We used to do evening deliveries at the RM years ago, it wasn't cost effective though. Believe it or not, less people were home.
We also used to get stuck in rush hour traffic, tripped over things in the dark on the way to the door (somebody should really invent a torch that mounts to your head with a little strap) and it was very unpopular as people were forced to work later for the same money.

I can understand that, these days though I would've thought folk would be queueing up to get a steady evening job delivering parcels. It could work out quite nicely for young parents leaving one to deal with the kids during the day while the other is at work.

The attitude in the large corporation I work for has changed massively over the last ten years or so, basically if you don't like what they're proposing then you know where the door is, there's always somebody else waiting to fill your position and the chances are they'll work harder, be less trouble and be cheaper to employ too.

I've had a grumble about RM before but the old boy on our round these days is spot on, if neither of us are in he'll leave it with the elderly neighbour.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I can understand that, these days though I would've thought folk would be queueing up to get a steady evening job delivering parcels. It could work out quite nicely for young parents leaving one to deal with the kids during the day while the other is at work.

The attitude in the large corporation I work for has changed massively over the last ten years or so, basically if you don't like what they're proposing then you know where the door is, there's always somebody else waiting to fill your position and the chances are they'll work harder, be less trouble and be cheaper to employ too.

I've had a grumble about RM before but the old boy on our round these days is spot on, if neither of us are in he'll leave it with the elderly neighbour.

I agree, things have changed massively. Their wouldn't be any where near as much vociferous objection to it now. Health and safety would have made them supply torches aswell.

Our postie is spot on too, he made a special journey last week to tell me to lock my van up because he'd seen my van doors open and one of the neighbours had just has his car half hinched :)
He personally bought my Dad a get well soon card this week too, he'll be getting tipped this year ;)

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
I used to work as a postie and can tell you it's not your posties fault - You have to abide by the rules laid down by RM or you are quickly shown the door. And there are plenty of people queing up for the job. The OP posted a picture of a note he had left on the OUTSIDE of his door, yes? RM's point is that anyone could have left such a note after the home owner had left for the day. Who do you think would be held responsible? The postie, that's who. They tell you to ignore such notes when you are being trained up. Say what you like but I don't know of any postie who would risk his job just to please a home owner he's probably never even met before, it just isn't worth the risk.

So my advice to home owners is this - If you know there is a parcel coming you can either:
a) Contact your delivery office and make arrangements to pick it up in person (you would need some ID to do this)
or
b) Make sure someone is in, and that they can hear the door. It's not fair to expect the postie to just stand there waiting while you run the bath, he has a job to do and many more deliveries to make.

You said the door was open and cars were on the drive? How does the postie know that you haven't just popped to the shop around the corner, and that the door is open because someone has broken in? They don't.

Sorry for the rant, but I think it's unfair to call people fit to burn simply for doing their job the way they've been told to do it.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
In my stint at Parcelforce, we had a big drama with a "doorstepped" parcel.

The relief driver left a smallish box on the doorstep outside a well known local army surplus store. The box was full of a knife order.

Yoofs going to school had nicked said parcel and a load of brand new knives were found by the teachers doing the rounds in the local school :yikes:.

There was uproar, the driver lost hid job instantly and it made the national press and front page of the local rag. The lower management were hauled over the coals by upper management and we were all reminded that leaving parcels was strictly against policy.

Food for thought maybe...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They (RM) need to sort themselves out (no pun intended). A few months ago I sent a camp stove to Japan via courier, picked up from me Thursday afternoon, arrived Tuesday morning, stove to New Jersey Monday morning arrived Wednesday, sent a lantern to Hastings (UK), first class via RM and it took five days :(

Anything overseas or in the UK over a couple of Kg and I use courier, not much difference in price, they pick up from you and the parcels get there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE