Why look after your Kit !!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
While doing a bit of tidying in the back yard, I came across the Meths burner from my Swedish cooker set. As I have another smaller one which also fits in my volcano stove and had been using that in both sets, I had not noticed it missing. It was found in a tupperware style container that I used to store it in but the lid was missing and the whole thing was full of water and looked like it ad been for quite some time.

PICT0012Small.jpg

So I emptied it, shook it and emptied again. Just on the off chance and with nothing to lose, I put some meths in and lit it. It did take a good while before it “bloomed” but it did work fine in the end. I do think that had this been a more serious scenerio, (camp flooded, kit washed away, pitch rained out while off site, or some such) all it would have cost me was a “coffee cup”'s worth of meths.

If kit is this bomb proof why take the time to look after it?

This thread is raised very tongue in cheek and in no way to start a flame war.
I love having a wood fire and will continue to have them but I have stopped wishing for any other stove. It works and it will always work.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think a Tranny is probably one of the ones you can rely on if it gets neglected, that's good thing about alky stoves as most of them have no moving parts.

If I'd given the same treatment to my MSR or Jetboil then I doubt they'd work very well

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Personally, I like to look after my kit but I can understand that some people don't bother.

But then I'm the only person on my street who ever has the bonnet up on their car, not through problems, just maintenence.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
For me looking after my kit is all part of the enjoyment of what i do especialy my sharps they all look like new but get regurly used. I bugs the hell out of me when i go camping with a couple of mates and they neglect there kit, the most popular question is have you seen my knife "put the bloody thing on yer belt" oh its there on the floor. Every trip we go on hes brought a new mora because its easier than looking after the one he has.

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
I think a Tranny is probably one of the ones you can rely on if it gets neglected, that's good thing about alky stoves as most of them have no moving parts.

So long as you remember to put the burner in a plastic bag before stowing it away. Otherwise you get an electrochemical reaction that can destroy the burner. OK it won't happen in half and hour but leave it six months and you might find it doesn't work too well.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
As I said this thread was not an attempt to start a flame war though I did hope the title would peek your interest and get some chatter going. I really do think you should look after kit, when I helped out with scouts a few years back I saw so much kit which had just gone to waste. I also think that there is some stuff out there, 58 water bottle, some rucksacks/burgens, sandals to quote a few that are just bomb proof.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE