Why foraging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

Pinkstone

Hi guys funny question this
Im writing a paper on the popularity of foraging and wanted to know the many reasons why people forage.
So why do people forage.
Thanks all

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Flavours that you just can't buy, unless you know a shop that sells ramsons, woodruff, comfrey, yellow archangel, parasol mushrooms, bilberries, squirrel, and so forth...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Makes the seasons real in our very artificial modern world :D

There's an anticipation and delight in the foragings at every time of the year. They engage all of our senses; sight, smell, taste, touch and while out there are the sounds of the weather, the trees, grasses, and the wildlife too.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Two more reasons from me. When I forage I'm making my own choices about what i come home with, rather than choosing from a pre-selected list, such as whatever tesco have chosen to stock that week. I like that freedom. Secondly, there's a really enjoyable element of surprise and delight at finding something good - sort of a "Look what I found!" sensation. You almost never get that when shopping.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Free, genuinely seasonal food with the joy of finding something new/rare.

Learning about different foodstuff available through the year.

Cheers

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Apart from what has already mentioned, I like the thought of getting nutrients and vitamins which may not be available in the foods we buy from the supermarkets.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
foraging makes up quite a bit of the fruit and veg i eat because i have found it myself therefore i want to eat it.
also, once i know what things i like the taste of, i try to grow them in my garden too, so foraging can be as convenient as the fridge :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
All of the above plus the connection with activities that my parents/grand parents/ great grand parents - on way on backwards into prehistory did!

Ogri the trog

Its also keeping alive a skill that would soon be forgotten if no-one did it (that connection with history thing again). Too many people are content to rely on the supermarket and have no knowledge of the choices they have outside.

Chris

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The things you find are fresh, interesting , tasty, free.
The act of foraging adds excitement to any walk, puts you in direct contact with the seasons, the "living planet", keeps a skill alive that dates back to prehistory...
And I hate shopping in global supermarkets!

DutchWalker

Apr 25, 2011
Netherlands
The main thing I forage are nuts.

Mainly chestnuts and walnuts but also the occasional acorn. I give them to my dad who makes salad dressings and oils/flavoured vinegar from them. Other than this and the occasional fruit I do not forage much.

The main reason for using these are the freshness, the flavour is so much better compared to the supermarket dressing.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
  • it's free food;
  • you can get stuff that you just don't really find in the shops;
  • it's seasonal food in the truest sense;
  • it just makes me feel a bit more connected with nature;
  • a great way to learn about nature;
  • excellent addition to a walk/camp;
  • practice for survival conditions;

Really, nothing feels quite a good as arriving back with a sack of goodies or a basket of mushrooms.

Alex

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE