Why don't sheaths have a mini FAK?

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Most bushcrafters seem to be of the thinking that FAKs and sharps "go together", so why isn't it normal to have a mini FAK on a sheath so they are never separated?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to strap a field dressing to the sheath of my main user - now I have too many knives that I use so the FAK is in a separate pouch on my knifebelt.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Maybe you need something like this for your knife sheath

601738_2007284.jpg

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I find the whole thing strange I have carried a knife for over 20 years... but I tend to cut myself on nails, glass and sharp stones. my FAK kit of choice is a role of insulating tape. yesterday I cut my finger quite badly on a slate roofing tile and a plumbers ptfe tape came to the rescue as a bandage. funny though I teach first aid LOL

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Maybe a mix of tradition and aesthetics for me but I don't want a lumpy FAK making my sheath unwieldy. Put it in a possibles pouch or your bag. I can see the point but personally wont go down the route.

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
I find the whole thing strange I have carried a knife for over 20 years... but I tend to cut myself on nails, glass and sharp stones. my FAK kit of choice is a role of insulating tape. yesterday I cut my finger quite badly on a slate roofing tile and a plumbers ptfe tape came to the rescue as a bandage. funny though I teach first aid LOL

I have to agree with it all, always had knives of one kind or another, and only once actually cut myself with one. However my hands are covered with many scars, and probably 90% have had the good old insulating tape repair. But never used PTFE must remember that one.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Maybe a mix of tradition and aesthetics for me but I don't want a lumpy FAK making my sheath unwieldy. Put it in a possibles pouch or your bag. I can see the point but personally wont go down the route.

Agree with that view young man, FAK on a sheath is the sort of thing some 'elf n safety' type would demand.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Don't think you could make a fak small enough to be of much use. Once you get enough stuff in it to be useful it just gets too big especially in colder weather when you want your shirt or coat to cover it and you.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Agree with that view young man, FAK on a sheath is the sort of thing some 'elf n safety' type would demand.

Thank you Rik. Think I've only cut myself badly with a life once, as a little kid when it closed on my hand. Why I prefer a lock knife.
Two bad ones from disarming a bloke when I worked on the doors though.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Don't think you could make a fak small enough to be of much use. Once you get enough stuff in it to be useful it just gets too big especially in colder weather when you want your shirt or coat to cover it and you.

I wear my knife on a belt OUTSIDE my coat ... why bury your tools just coz its cold out?
A small field dressing fits on most sheaths and is useful for cuts that spit and a hanky wont deal with.... if you are "tacticool" the a sheath FAK is fitting with the aesthetics :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
With the exception of my Woodlore neck sheath which has some pockets on it I like my sheaths to be free of add-ons, I do carry a few first aid pouches/kits in several sizes which sit in bags and pockets for when they are needed.

07lVvaZ.jpg

Another exception would be my Leatherman Wave nylon sheath which has a space behind the velcro that holds down the flap, that space is perfect for two or three band aids. :)

Jul 18, 2013
Hong Kong
Actually, some knifemakers have already been doing that, and I think it is indeed a good idea, especially for the 'big chopper' kind of knife:

l4m3.jpg

Doug Ritter MK2 with its sheath, and a standard size Altoids tin that could fit in the outside of the sheath

i8k7.jpg

The Altoids tin fitted inside. There is an elastic band for the little pocket outside to prevent contents from falling out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE