Why do rockers wear suits?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Not a funny but a serious query.

I've been watching a few vids on the tube and it rather galls me to see musicians of the more rocker type wearing suits.

Why do they do it?
I've always thought it to be the worst type of clothing along with a tie to be worn for any reason.
Uncomfortable, restricting and of no practicle use in my opinion.

Just a simpletons thoughts,can anyone help me understand?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
is it a kind of poke in the eye for the suits, non conformist conformity, you know artsy stuff and south bank show pomposity, rocking from within, the ghost in the machine, Its all relative Tam!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Suits are smart. I love suits. Nothing like a well cut English suit and only the Italians are anywhere near capable of wearing them as well as us Brits. We rock suits. Ooooh, there's your answer!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Irony, and for a rocker it's actually more rebellious to wear a suit than the cliche leather and denim.

Well, yeah, I suppose it is now. Everyone wears leather and jeans nowadays. Bank staff used to wear only suits, now they wear polo's and casual slacks. Smart has been dumbed down and the suit wearer is now the odd one out. If you walk through town and look at the majority of suit wearing folk, they are ill fitting and worn in. Back in the day, everyone had suits that fitted and they were cared for and well pressed daily. It seems they are worn and cared for the same way overalls are in this era.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That's what I mean. Suits were far more common than jeans and T's back then. Now it's the other way around and then some.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
As has been said, it's a rebellion of identity. Same reason bikers post WW2 took the swastika as a symbol, despite them being veterans, and still wear the tattoo and badge today.

There was actually a really good program on BBC2 some years back that covered, amongst other things, the suit aspect of rock and roll.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would suppose that the true professional rckers (like any performer) wears what they expect their intended audience wants to see them in. After all, their livelihood depends on that audience at the end of the day. Comfort is and always will be secondary to pleasing the customer.

Whether are not it has the intended effect is another discussion altogether.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think so too, at least indoors or in a mild climate. But some people do have a phobia about wearing closed collars, let alone ties.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Nothing wrong with suits in the proper context but on stage?...:slap:

I don't like them myself as i had to wear them for a while and hated them, fitted or not.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
HWMBO used to stride into the leicester rock nights in a beautiful fitted suit and tie- oily leather-clads would part before him and he looked fiiiiine- different, comfortable, like a wolf amongst sheep, all the lasses would touch the fine wool and flock around him. It was rebelliousness but being pressed into a large cooing pack of rock chicks was probably more motivation than he admits to :)

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Irony, and for a rocker it's actually more rebellious to wear a suit than the cliche leather and denim.

No 80's & 90's power metal guy's wore the denim, the mid period was my generation Goth (yes I was one), and now it's Emo striped down Goth for the weak and feeble.

Not a funny but a serious query.

I've been watching a few vids on the tube and it rather galls me to see musicians of the more rocker type wearing suits.

Why do they do it?
I've always thought it to be the worst type of clothing along with a tie to be worn for any reason.
Uncomfortable, restricting and of no practicle use in my opinion.

Just a simpletons thoughts,can anyone help me understand?

To be honest it's not rockers (playing 3 chords on a Guitar dose not a rocker make) I see a lot of them on Friday and Saturday night around Liverpool, they are all what me and my mates call new age lounge lizard. They are trying to emulate the ratpack in style of dress with a few modern twists, i.e. forgetting the hat and updating the accessories, but ignoring the great lounge music of the era they are emulating and going for slightly edgy pop music that's heavy on the auto tune and pre keyed guitar riffs that they lack the skill to really pull off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE