Why do bushcraft and survival skills?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cjackson

May 16, 2014
Sheffield, England
Whilst walking in the peaks a few months ago I stopped and looked at the map with the compass and had the pleasure of having 2 men stop and ask why I was still using a compass when you're phone can get gps.

After asking what they would do if their phones died or got wet or smashed etc while on the moors in winter they just looked at me and said "oh somebody will find us". I tried to convince them of the importance of being able to use a compass and map, especially in remote areas but they refused to listen and carried on walking.

I was just shocked and a little saddened that some people refuse to think people shouldn't be doing/ using something because of new modern technologies.

It's a compass and a map!

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
waterproof active maps from OS are great kit and using a stick in the ground to give you the points of the compass by marking the passage of sun across the sky over a minimum of 15 minutes is a viable technique (the longer the more accurate), granted does need some sun

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
what if your map blows away? what im saying is GPS is good, carry spare batteries, look after it, buy a waterproof one and it can be just as reliable as a map and compass. personally if i did a lot of navigating id take both just to be sure

cjackson

May 16, 2014
Sheffield, England
Oh I'm not debating the fact that gps units and apps aren't amazing pieces of kit, I have some. have a back up plan. It was just the fact that they stopped me and was slightly mocking in the way they asked.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Just in case anyone doesn't know the shadow stick technique i'll try and explain clearly without my usual ramblings.

Stick a long stick in the ground and mark the tip of the shadow (this is marked W), then wait a min of 15 mins and mark the shadow tip again (mark this E), draw a line between the two marks and this is your east to west line and right angles to it are north and south, the more time covered between marking the two points the more accurate the readings. this is how in Northern hemisphere so you reverse the process in the southern ie first shadow marking is marked East

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I do take both, also my gps is in a shock proof and submersible to 6 meters case but i prefer using the map and compass by a long way, don't know why cos it is not always as quick

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
my gps is usually switched off in my bag so if i do need it then it always has a full battery

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
On occasions my phone GPS has told me I'm 2 miles away from my actual position, with a map I can get that confused much more cheaply! And I haven't found a phone/tablet with a screen 2ft by 2 ft. But both are good. Remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none. (And 6 is half a dozen)

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
I always carry a Map, Compass and GPS which I normally have in my pocket and many a time have used just to pin point my position on the map just to make life easier, but I still prefer map and compass, I'm a bit old school when it comes to navigation.....

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I think bushcraft is fun. It is just a set of skills that we have derived from the experiences of past generations, and we incorporate them into our outings as the need dictates. I enjoy being in the woods, I enjoy practicing different techniques, and I enjoy the research.

I couldn't agree more.

Human beings do suffer from the 'magpie effect' - being attracted to the latest, bright, shiny object or technology. I suppose one of the reasons that a lot of people see bushcrafters as slightly strange is because the skills we practise are ones from the past; for them, being able to turn on your oven at home using an application (I can't stand the lazily truncated 'app.') on your mobile is the way forward. Anything that celebrates older or even ancient skills is just retrograde. That's absolutely fine. But for anyone who enjoys time out in any wilderness environment, having knowledge of a few older skills and practices to hand can enhance that experience. It is also enormous fun - probably the most important aspect of it all.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I'm inclined to agree with Ross, with the caveat that knowing how to garden, smallholder style, and farm, would be a lot more useful (arguably is more useful) than a heck of a lot of the hype about survival with hitech kit and hidden storage dumps.
Guns and firing pins aren't really an issue over here, tbh.

Until I joined this site I didn't know that what I did was called bushcraft :eek: it was just making stuff, using stuff, going for a wander and a gather, kind of thing :)

Told you; it's sanity :D

cheers,
Toddy

Gardening does not quite cut the mustard, we need a name like tactical allotmenteering or spadecraft. Then folk would argue the merits of one spade or another, is it the full Monty Don or a vintage Percy Thrower? No doubt there would be trowels marketed with exotic steel and micarta handles as well.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I do bushcraft because keeps me from mugging old people for their pension money!:lmao:

Seriously though, its because I love nature and being outdoors. What better way to be in touch with the world around you. I also get to spend plenty of quality time with my daughter doing things we both love. You also get to meet some really interesting people and learn new skills.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE