Planning Why camp at that time of year?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I just read a thread about camping in winter and looking forward to the snow.
that got me thinking...

What is it about a particular time of year that attracts us outdoors?
in particular winter. I mean it's cold! it can be far more uncomfortable (even deadly) than other seasons and to be comfortable more kit is often needed (decent tent, stove etc) so why?

Do people really like spring or autumn? if so why?

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Much less people around up here on the lochs etc. Colours are ace.

We tend only to have heavyish sleeping bags up here as it's never really warm enough for a winter bag. In winter I layer up in a tent or hammock, bag plus bivvy bag, never really been cold despite frost and snow at times. Hard to get going sometimes though :)

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Fairly new to it one Arctic trip a couple of years ago, lots of UK 'cold' camping, going back to Sweden in January ( hopefully ) and then Scotland in February, why do I like it, as said, a lot quieter, it's easy to keep warm from camp chores and then a fire or tent stove, and the icing on the cake, Winter Wonderland, it's magical :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm not so keen on wet camps, especially if I'm under proper canvas because it's a swine to dry in the winter, but I do love a snow camp.

Cold-Camping-under-the-Northern-Lights.jpg

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Personally, I have always avoided rain. I always combined sleeping in nature with other activities - canoeing, fishing, picking funhi, and rain made this less pleasant.

Love sleeping outside during minus degrees, with or without snow. Crisp air, the calm and silence.
But, with increasing age and surfacing joint and back problems, the colder weather is not nice for the body. I do at least one night a year in minus wintertime though.

Has to be in an area with lots of snow as I do a 'snow cave'. I have a such spot up in Norway.

Last edited:
Reactions: bopdude

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Years ago it seemed like everytime I went camping the weather turned bad on me.
So seeing a pattern I kind of went with the flow and with the help of a now ex girlfriend I got an expedition sleeping bag.
Which has been brilliant, and meant that camping in winter isn't really a problem for me.
When its warm I often use the same bag, just open it up or just stick my feet out.

It's not arctic stuff but minus sevens and so on aren't an issue.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm not so keen on wet camps, especially if I'm under proper canvas because it's a swine to dry in the winter, but I do love a snow camp.

Cold-Camping-under-the-Northern-Lights.jpg

Lovely pic. Our last trip out in the belltent was soggy, wet with the misty drizzly rain, and not much fun. No cover over the fire saw us in the tent by about 7pm reading books and waiting for bedtime. A miserable sort of camping, knowing your canvas is getting soaked. On the other hand, though we weren’t too far from home, the tent did offer what it was expected to do, provide shelter and a dry sleeping area.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
True, no mud and no bugs and very few people.
The season is starting for heavy use of our back country cabins.
Snow camping isn't very popular at all.
Maybe 5 cm snow in the village 2 nights ago, 60 cm up top for the sled heads.
5m total for a winter is commonplace.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
5 meters? Children must love it! I remember how much fun it was to dig tunnels in the snow.

After work, I will grab a Moretti, sit on the second step in the pool, and say a 'cheers' to you, turned North!!

:)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I used to camp all year round but nowadays I don't cope with the damp and wet very well at all. I also don't cope well with cold either. Put the two together and I'm staying home thank you very much!
Even this year at wilderness gathering it was quite wet and by Saturday night I began to feel very unwell. That was in August! The temps were not particularly low either.
I realy miss being able to camp out in the breckons in November or anywhere else for that matter.
I spend winter sorting gear and planning my first trip out in the spring. I'm usualy fully packed and ready by Christmas!
Just need to wait untill the garlic shows at the earliest.
I think some of my friends despair at me continually talking about bushcraft!
I must try to think of something else.... a chat about curtain material anyone?:hungover::roflmao::roflmao: as if that is ever gonna happen with me!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Easy to see that winter camping would be pretty nice when you can get out of the wind.
The Robson Valley where I live is bad for that. I'll say 2/3 of the days are not just breezy but windy.

The big snow packs are up top where you find the snowmobile/snowbike crowd and the heliskiiers.
Still, there are hazards like avalanches as little as 10-20m high to kill people. Might be 1/4 mile wide, too.
Tree holes can be 15-20' deep and nobody will hear you die. You pee out in the open. Never behind a tree.

There are a few wide open places in the valley bottom where really hard packed snow drifts form.
Some big drifts 10' high, 50' long and 20' deep. Really good stuff to cut with a snow knife for an igloolik.
(Igloo is 'house'. Igloolik is 'snow-house.')
After every big storm, it often warms up to maybe -5C, lots of families are out there together with shovels and toboggans to play.
Then a big camp fire with hot chocolate, hot dogs, marshmallows.
Then everybody goes home to sleep in their big insulated wooden tents.

Reactions: JohnC

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I like the cold, even the rain. The worse the weather the less people..... as C Claycomb said, inclement weather tests your skills and the reward is greater.

There's nowt better than siting next to a fire and feeling the warmth either.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like winter camping for a few reasons in no particular order:
1) No bugs!
2) No oppressive heat
3) It’s hunting season and I love deer camp
4) Fewer people around

Reactions: Robson Valley

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I just love snow camping. There is nothing to beat shoeing or skiing out a big distance, building a big fire and drinking a big rum and hot applejuice. The quiet, like a down pillow to fall into ... and, in the Spring, against that, the booming grouse.

Started snowing properly on the hills here three days ago :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
And in the spring, sneak up on drummer-boy, beating on his log for the girls.

I did winter snow camping less than 10 times. It was OK, was not miserable.
Cold and windy many times. Unbelievable appetite.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
The joys of winter camp are that the nights are long and it gives you time to focus. Whether it’s reading , brushing up on some skills ( I enjoy netmaking) even the cooking of your evening meal seems to take on a new relevance.
I bring my own wood as it gives me more daylight time for walking and generally enjoying my surroundings .
As for the cold . I really enjoy it.

HF

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE