Why are bushcraft knives, and survival knives so different?

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
yes, rifles too, and even first aid kits. but in terms of "let's talk about designing a survival knife", slightly pointless. no pun intended. :rolleyes:

i already have the ultimate in multi-role machetes, :cool: but i'd love to get my hands on a russian survival kit machete.

cheers, and.


one of these ???

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/gallery/files/2/9/1/7/001.jpg



Andy (Doberman Knives) is making a similar blade shape with full tang
 
I was having a conversation with a mate a while back about this. When I was a teenager about 25 years ago survival knives were all big hollow-handled affairs and I did all my bushcraft (survival training, as it was then) with a british issue golock machete. I did everything: I dug holes with it, chopped up firewood, dismantled outhouses, the lot. Skinning and stuff fell to my Super Swede folder. About ten years ago, mate bought me a kuhkri to replace it.
Now I use a much smaller bushcraft knife, an axe and a saw. Much more effective but heavier and dare I say it less fun?
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE