Whos cut their finger?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Having worked in the glass trade for the last 25 years, I have seen my fair share of gruesome injuries on most parts of the body :yikes: ; thankfully, mostly not mine although there was an incident with a bowie knife almost 30 years ago and I still have a lack of feeling in that finger today.

These days, we wear Kevlar gloves with a rubber palm and fingers for grip. They are fantastic, retaining great dexterity, fairly cheap at about £3 - £4 per pair and available from a variety of PPE suppliers.

The only problem is that they say 'Marigold' on the back. :eek: :eek: but I'm prepared to go through the embarrasment to ensure that I retain all my digits. :) :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
:eek: That sounds......well.... painful 11 out of 10 on the scale..

Truth be told mate it didn't hurt one little bit. When it happened i just thought "fair dooz" got the FAK out bandaged it, sat down ate my soup i had on the fire, smoked a cig, packed my kit, drove home, had a coffee and went to hospital. It didn't start hurting until that night but that was just a throb. I had the op the next day and i too was awake.I asked to be awake. Morbid curiosity.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Damn! Hope you get better soon mate, that must've been a bad one!

I've never had one that bad, the worst one I've had was when the knife fell on the floor without me noticing and shuffling the chair shoved it into my foot - no permanent damage done though, except this annoying itching feeling around the scar sometimes! Now I put it back in the sheath when not in use :eek: It is amazing how little pain you feel at first, when that happened to me I just thought I'd bumped my foot off a wood offcut or something, and then I lifted my foot and could feel the weight of the knife hanging from it :eek: My stupidest mistake, but the lesson was veery well learned.

Again, best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!
Pete

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Ive had my fair share of cuts and scrapes :rolleyes: Most of them can be put down to silly mistakes like being to tired to be using sharps.

But I always say I make the best patient ;)
Never panic of go into shock :D
And patch myself up and get to the nearest AE sometimes with a little help from my friends :eek: (well maybe a fair bit)

The most important thing is you must learn from every silly cut you do :D

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Robin - that sounds like a great trade!
Most of my cuts have been acrued many years ago...the glove is mainly laziness and an excuse for poor technique now!
The last bad one I got was when I was shaping the back of a blade, dropping the point from a clip to a drop point, by rubbing it on the side of a cheap stone so as not to damage the face of the stone.
I was tired, ratty (giving up smoking - again!) and impatient. Rushing the job, pressing too hard, not concentrating....stone rolled, knife slippd and I plunged the very sharp tip into my palm...deep enough to show lots of white bits when I unjammed the blade and had a look. I could still wiggle my fingers and feel everything so I just bound my hand into a ball around a standard dressing. Three days later it had knit and the dressing was replaced with a large plaster.
It was several weeks before the hand was back at full strength though!

The knife is great!
Xylaria - I quite like the taste of blood and have drunk quite a bit of my own over the years.
But I would have loved to see the faces of those folk!

I did a very similar one with a chisel into the palm of my hand, stupid stupid mistake, nice when you see the fatty tissue oozing out :bluThinki

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Lol, it must be that time of the year mate - I took an axe to my thumb on sunday!

I must admit I felt a bit queezy but more than anything it was down to the way the mrs reacted - you'd swear I'd cut my thumb off! lol, and she's first aid trained (thought you got taught not to panick!?).

With the way she was pinicking, I had to explain to her what needed to be done - while doing my best to sort myself out! lol, silly moo.

To be fair, I'd've guessed it needed 6 stitches but when (after nearly 3hrs) it still hadn't stopped bleeding, the nurse just superglued it and wrapped it up!

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Me and my son concentrate very hard when using tools, my daughter however doesn't and she is really scary with anything sharp. They have both being shown the right way, but my daughter who is acdemically very bright, doesn't apply safely related knowledge anywhere near as consistantly as my son. She has managed to cut herself with a sander (????) , I'll let him use a hand-scythe

Isn't it funny how "clever" people don't seem so good with practical things?

My mrs is doing a b.a. hons at uni, the other day I got her peeling spuds for sunday dinner (I normally do all the cooking because I know she's hopeless at it but my thumb had only just been bandaged), anyway, I gave her the peeler and left her to it while I popped to the shop for some vegi oil for the yorkshires.

When I got back, I noticed she looked a bit sheepish. On further inspection, she was trying to peel the tates with a (very sharp) 9" carving knife!! And the tates were all kinda square :rolleyes: it was so rediculous I couldn't believe my eyes, had to laugh though.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire

That is not true in a lot of cases. It just depends on the life/job/interests of the person.

My brother is the manager of a drawing room at an engineering firm, he designs CNC machines. Yet in all his spare time all he does is diy, fix cars, anything really.

Same as myself i would class myself as intelligent, so would Mensa. Yet i have lived a totally practical life, military, gamekeeper, engineer, bushcraft, shooting, etc.

Its all on the individual and how they choose to apply that intelligence. If we go down the route you suggest then all practical people are not intelligent. But again this is untrue.

Mar 22, 2006
North Wales

My mrs is doing a b.a. hons at uni, the other day I got her peeling spuds for sunday dinner (I normally do all the cooking because I know she's hopeless at it but my thumb had only just been bandaged), anyway, I gave her the peeler and left her to it while I popped to the shop for some vegi oil for the yorkshires.

When I got back, I noticed she looked a bit sheepish. On further inspection, she was trying to peel the tates with a (very sharp) 9" carving knife!! And the tates were all kinda square :rolleyes: it was so rediculous I couldn't believe my eyes, had to laugh though.

ha ha ha i too am now victim of the missus cooking im opting for the safer version of eating cereal alot!!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

Well my Mrs has a PhD and is very skilled with a sharp knife but maybe she is a bit unusual.:)

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Well my Mrs has a PhD and is very skilled with a sharp knife but maybe she is a bit unusual.:)

I didn't mean everyone, but often. I wouldn't consider myself to be "thick" but I'm a practical person i.e. I'm a relatively highly qualified mechanic.

But I've noticed it quite a lot over the years, people with all the qualifications in the world but they seem unable to do even simple practical tasks - like the potato incident.

On the other hand, there's people like my dad with degrees and alsorts who are super - inteligent, but also able to apply it to practical matters (he's come to be a handy-man on our street, doing everything from installing a stairlift, erecting fences, re-wiring houses to replacing entire central heating systems!)

I didn't mean any offence, just an obsevation, perhaps it should've read "isn't it funny how some supposedly clever people can't perform simple practical tasks.."

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am rubbish at maths and science, but can sew and do a bit of carving etc on the arty side...My wife works for an accountant but constantly cuts herself with cooking knives (good cook though - but Jehovas Witnesses may not apreciate the "extra ingredient" in many dishes..) cannot use machinery or a mobile phone with any confidence, likes using blunt knives and saws and is scared of my circular saw.
I know who I would want with me on a desert island though - my wife is irreplaceable!

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Hope you're back to fully operational status soon.

Once upon a time I had a quick task with a chisel. I thought about putting the workpiece in the vice but decided it would be quicker to hold it. By the time I had bandaged myself up and started again with an unstained piece of wood it would have been much quicker to have used the vice. I still have neat scars on the middle and fore fingers of right hand. So the list; not securing material, cutting towards myself, being impatient and not being in proper control of the tool. I've found that you can usually get away with one sin, but several in combination often punish.

I squashed a finger at work a couple of years ago and the operation was under local anasthetic. Sadly I couldn't really see anything of the process. I found it a little surreal, feeling the finger being pulled about and waiting for the pain that never came.

......and good job having the presence of mind to get a picture of the freshly cut finger!

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
A couple of years ago, when I lived in military single accom, I used to cook my own meals in the little kitchen near my rooms in the Mess. One lunchtime I decided to prepare some mushrooms on toast. Because I had recently bought a new cleaver, I decided to use it to slice some garlic and the mushrooms. All went well, so I thought a parsley garnish was needed. So, a bunch of parsley, a very sharp cleaver, and then - a sort of crunching noise, and the realisation that I had cut my finger - or, to be more accurate, I'd cut the end of my finger off, nail and all.

As a former paramedic, I immediately did the wrong thing, and stuck it under the tap. This was immensely painful, but reminded me that direct pressure was the answer; a tea towel came to hand. It was clear that this was not going to be an quick plaster job. I phoned SWMBO, who is a nurse and who was at work.

Me: "I've cut my finger"
SWMBO: "Why have you rung me to tell me."
Me: "No, I've really cut my finger. I can't stop it bleeding."
SWMBO: "You'd better come to the ward" (I work at the same hospital)

So, I drove myself, feeling nauseous and faint, but thankfully in an automatic car, down to work. Expecting to have to wait at the gate, and then go and sign in, I drove up to the entrance. The gates were open and the security guards opened the barriers and told me to go straight in. There was SWMBO at the entrance; she took me straight in and had the duty surgeon standing by.

Anyway, one branch block and a large dose of opiate later, the finger end was dressed and a sling applied.

SWMBO had to change the dressing daily for two weeks; I rather got the impression that she enjoyed it.

Anyway, it healed well, but I'm left with a scar that reminds me to respect blades every time I use one.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
3 stitches doing this review :eek:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=391610&postcount=1

IMGP1216.jpg

For what it is worth - I'm so bloody clumsy I cut myself everytime I go near a knife. Small brains are really rubbish at maintaining concentration!

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
most fo my left finger has been cut off at some point,. luckily i'm quite young and the scars heal well, but the scar where i cut the pad of my left finger off has just sapped about 90 percent of the feeling out :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE