Whoopie directly onto a dd hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just curious if I could get away with putting my whoopie slings directly onto the hammock was thinking larks knot the fixed eye through where the webbing goes. At the movement I have a small loop of webbing then connect to whoopie using carabina. Just thinking as it'd be one less link in the chain so to speak. My worry is the Amsteel is so narrow it'd saw through the hammock. Hope that question makes sense.....

Orric

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It should hold fine Orric, never owned a DD so haven't tried it myself though.

[video=youtube;zXlwPKoKw9Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zXlwPKoKw9Q#![/video]

Last edited:

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I thought about it, then thought about my weight swinging about and decided the end channel didn't deserve that sort of treatment. The thickness of the Amsteel just kept making me think cheese-wire.

I bought a bit of climbing tape knotted that through the channel & either crab onto that as you do or if not using the UQ (Which mounts on the same crabs) I can just larks foot onto the tape & save two load bearing crabs. I could always buy some smaller crabs/s-biners for the UQ anyway and clip onto the tape loop.

The tape, with it only going through the channelel once also allows me to quickly untie it & head to a groundsheet but still use the hammock as a bug net if required. Threading and re-threading the Amsteel twice is too much hassle for me to consider when out & about

Last edited:

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
another approach would be to not use the channel at all but just larks head the fixed eye around the gathered end of the hammock - this is also very easy to untie and allows one to visually inspect the fabric for wear - the larks head does not slip off if tied below the channel fold because the doubled over channel is thicker than the gathered fabric below the channel

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
Id still rather have a crab there to act as a drip ring. Nothing worse than waking up in a wet hammock!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Id still rather have a crab there to act as a drip ring. Nothing worse than waking up in a wet hammock!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The amsteel is so thin you won't have a problem with water tracking down it. Also if the bury & tail of the whoopie is close to the hammock, that would act as a drip trap anyway. I've had whoopies for years, and never had water track down :)

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
Well the dangling tail from the whoopie sling usually takes care of any water running down the line but if you want to be sure then just tie on a drip sting or possibly consider using the Dutchware whoopie hooks - they act nicely as a drip point. On the other hand if you are more comfortable using a crab (whatever that is) then go ahead and do it that way.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Just curious if I could get away with putting my whoopie slings directly onto the hammock was thinking larks knot the fixed eye through where the webbing goes. At the movement I have a small loop of webbing then connect to whoopie using carabina. Just thinking as it'd be one less link in the chain so to speak. My worry is the Amsteel is so narrow it'd saw through the hammock. Hope that question makes sense.....

Orric

Hi orric, thought I would put I'm my 2p.

I have amsteel whoopie slings going through the channel on my dd frontline hammock.

I then use a Dutch whoopie hook spliced onto the whoopie that hooks directly on a tree hugger.

Works a treat.
Steve

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent

Orric

I've done it that way and it works fine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE