who uses webbing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ragamuffin

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2009
plymouth
i like to take webbing on days out with a small 35lt bag with random stuff in.
anyone else like to ramble with a full webbing on?

LennyMac

Jun 10, 2010
Kenley, Surrey
I am currently making my way round the South West coast of the UK- sometimes on the Coast Path, but mostly on C roads (much more chance of a pub!). I started in Minehead in Somerset in August 2007 and will be walking from Plymouth to Newton Abbot at the end of August- my 11th section (usually about 4 days each). I have used webbing the whole way.

I started with a full set of pattern 58 including the 'large pack'. I ditched the pack in favour of a vietnam war- issue ex- Australian army 'spider' (a sleeping bag sling (a sort of fastenable canvas lattice) that is worn as a pack) that attached through the webbing loops on the sholders. I added an additional pattern 58 waterbottle plus two pattern 44 waterbottles and replaced the patt 58 ammo pouches with patt 37 pouches because they sit higher up on the belt. This time, I shall be using a full set of PLCE webbing for the first time (with the spider).

I think webbing is a great way of carrying gear when walking along roads is both the objective and the main activity for several hours a day- everything, including water, is at hand whilst moving and I know where everything is. I also like the functionality of military design- I camp using a patt 58 poncho, an Australian hootchie and a couple of bungy straps, which all fit nicely into the poncho roll.

I am aware that it makes me look like a wannabe but I have never had the slightest trouble with people, even on the Tube or London buses.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I use webbing when I go fishing.
I like to keep kit to a minimum so it's perfect because it's not as restrictive and tiresome as a rucksack would be if you're casting repetitively.

Last edited:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
I have to say I am intrigued by anyone wearing webbing for walking use!
While in the army, I did prefer '58 patt to PLCE as it was quieter, but even then it was a poor design for load carrying (as it shrunk when wet (water bottle pouch anyone) and was not water proof in any way!

What do you carry in your webbing>
I only ask as just about anything you can fit into webbing, you can also put into a rucksack, and with modern sacs with hip pockets/side mesh, you can have all your cameras/sweet or water bottles to hand while you walk.

Don't take this the wrong way, as it is your choice, but I am just curious.
As I come from an ultralight hiking perspective, I could use a 35 litre pack for two days away, and not just a day walk.
As per above, you would probably find my OMM Jirishanca sac just as odd :)

LennyMac

Jun 10, 2010
Kenley, Surrey
Actually, my choice to use webbing is a historical thing- I was in the cadets for five years in the 1980s in Australia, using the Australian version of US M56 webbing and I continued to use it for some years afterwards- it was my only real experience of light camping.

I came to the UK in 2005 and wanted to do some hiking, to see the sights etc, and of course, my first recourse was to find a set of webbing (on a budget). This meant that I got a set of pattern 58. Having carried it about 400 miles now, I kind of have an affection for it (both my patt 58 set AND the use of webbing for hiking).

However: I understand that the British army began to phase out patt 58 after the Falklands- and I can empathise entirely; it shrinks horribly when wet, it gains weight and is actually heavy when empty, let alone the 4 waterbottles I carry.I will be using PLCE for the first time in August and I think it will be considerably lighter. As far as the actual walking goes- there is something to be said for putting one foot in front of the other, resting my forearms on the ammo pouches and doing 20 miles a day along country lanes- I can really get into a rhythm.

I have also had quite a few conversations with people in the South West (particularly older gentlemen) who identify either the patt 58 stuff or the patt 37 pouches and start telling stories.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I have also had quite a few conversations with people in the South West (particularly older gentlemen) who identify either the patt 58 stuff or the patt 37 pouches and start telling stories.

Maybe it's a Westcountry thing.

Theres a whole discussion going on this this thread(below) since 2009, I don't use a complete set but I find a waterbottle pouch, utility pouch and PLCE side pouch with yoke straps (Not the actual yoke) useful sometimes.

enjoy the read:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41983&highlight=webbing

Christ! I read the first page and then saw there were eleven pages in total and thought 'sod that!'. Must have been some right old bickering going on. :lmao:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
loads of bickering...and some interesting stuff if you like that sort of thing :)

Oh blimey no, I don't think I could go traipsing through all that. :D
I'm not a kit person really, couldn't say what pattern my webbing is and just use as is. :dunno:
It lets me carry everything I need for the type of fishing I do and isn't restrictive like a back pack would be when casting.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
LennyMac.

I can see where you are coming from about resting your arms on the pouches, although it was something I never did myself (as it would show an adversary you were not alert), unless I was actually shooting, in which case my right elbow would often be there :)

As always seems to happen to me, I have just thrown out a load of webbing of all kinds, as I did not think anyone would want it, and could not be bothered to put it on ebay.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE