Who owns the foreshore?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
Walking along a river estuary today I was wondering who owns the foreshore in the UK. In the back of my mind I had this idea that below the high water level the land belongs the nobody. If this is the case then presumably when tides are at neap rather than the higher spring tides this means that we can use the space to camp, sling hammocks etc. Or am I wrong?

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Below the MHW tideline I think it's the Queen. Administered b the Crown Estates. Hence the beach comber/ slavage laws for that recent container ship.. In scotland the Access Code (law) is different to elsewhere in the Uk and allows access almost anywhere with reasonable use.

If you want to drop an anchor for mooring then the Crown estate has to be paid. You get a wee disc with a number on it. In the Gareloch the MOD police boats ocaisionally check the pickup mooring bouys and cut any which don't have the tag, and the real mooring bouy line sinks.

Nick

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
boisdevie said:
Walking along a river estuary today I was wondering who owns the foreshore in the UK. In the back of my mind I had this idea that below the high water level the land belongs the nobody. If this is the case then presumably when tides are at neap rather than the higher spring tides this means that we can use the space to camp, sling hammocks etc. Or am I wrong?

Estuary is where a river flows into sea, isn't it?
If you look at it with international law glasses on, the "land" beyond the high waterline is still property of the state. It's the opposite (in international law, but of course their might be exceptions): it's about the low waterline.
Low water, more land lying dry >> more land for people (state) to own, hence more taxes to be paid.

From the low water (or: base) line (article 5 UNCLOS - United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea) onwards you are in the territorial sea (upto 12 nautical seamiles) - hot topic regarding those UK marines who are caught in Iran atm.

Overhere, the landowner owns the land upto the low water line, after that it's the state (or Queen if you want).

Bit of legal eagle talk, but I hope this makes some sence ;)

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Below the Mean High Water mark belongs to the Crown in England and Wales with certain exceptions where this has been sold, there are also many leased areas.

As stated earlier Scotland is different and there was talk last year of bringing in new restrictions.

Pothunter.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Indeed our beloved Queeny owns the first 1.5 kilometres of land from the shore outwards. Beyond that no one techincally 'owns' it, but there are agreements set up between govermentsfor access; e.g. between Norway and Britain for North Sea gas and oil. (I think the Netherlands are in on it too, but I can't remember - it might be Denmark...).

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
capacious said:
Indeed our beloved Queeny owns the first 1.5 kilometres of land from the shore outwards. Beyond that no one techincally 'owns' it, but there are agreements set up between govermentsfor access; e.g. between Norway and Britain for North Sea gas and oil. (I think the Netherlands are in on it too, but I can't remember - it might be Denmark...).

Both Jake :D

Western part is divided in 2: UK & Norway, and the eastern part is divided in 3: Denmark, Germany (small-ish part) and NL. :grouphug: (note there are 5 smillies - isn't that great :D)
The latter 3 had some issues regarding the North Sea continental shelf (something about the equidistance thingy). In the end the High-Court-of-something-important in The Hague solved the case ... which ended up in obligated jurisprudence for me to study at uni (I'm planning to do my Masters in Maritime law).

I'm way off topic though, sorry about that :ban:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Unless your in someones 'curtilage' next to their housing etc then it's legal to camp on a beach/foreshore in scotland :) . Their are exceptions eg Nature reserve or a 'Royal Park' and inside the Faslane Nuclear sub base. The peace camp is across the rd and actually about a foot from the roadside. Never understood that it is allowed there :confused: .

Nick

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Ahjno said:
Both Jake :D

Western part is divided in 2: UK & Norway, and the eastern part is divided in 3: Denmark, Germany (small-ish part) and NL. :grouphug: (note there are 5 smillies - isn't that great :D)
The latter 3 had some issues regarding the North Sea continental shelf (something about the equidistance thingy). In the end the High-Court-of-something-important in The Hague solved the case ... which ended up in obligated jurisprudence for me to study at uni (I'm planning to do my Masters in Maritime law).

I'm way off topic though, sorry about that :ban:

Thanks johan! I should've remembered that really, what with having to do a 9000 word dissertation on north sea gas and oil, but I think the post exam partying wiped out my memory cells :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE