Who Lives Here Then?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
The way the wood has been taken out looks like rodent marks,the only rodents I know of with teeth that big are coypu and beaver,but beaver don't live in trees.I'm not sure about coypu though.

Can't see Coypu being arboreal but could be very wrong!
Trying hard to do this without 'google' help.

Bird wise i may have went for Goosander but think that's been ruled out.

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Hi ,am new here and have been watching this thread. I would say it was a fox, have seen foxes sleeping in the forks of trees higher than this.
David.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I'm just musing wildcat or feral maybe, or could even be a polecat or similar. Pheasant or peacock as some of these have "nests" on Arran kinda like this but not quite as big though.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
As a couple of you have guessed it is a fox. A big dog fox at that. Scared him half to death when I climbed the tree and peeked in his front door. I wasn't surprised it was a fox having seen the bottom den. But I've never seen one make a den that high up. Sone time will go and wait for a good few hours and see if I can get a picture of him. Was a bit too quick for me last time.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
yeah its a great thread, i didn't have a clue until you showed us the picture of the bottom entrance. i'm chuffed i got it right though. :D

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Have a couple of pics of a fox sleeping in the fork of a tree on my mobile, i will try to put them up on here if i can.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE