Who Lives Here Then?

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Let's see who can tell me...

This home has been made about 8 feet up in an old tree. It is nearly 2 feet wide and has been made recently and there are two entrances. It is a new hole and has been made by the resident animal. Large chunks of punk wood were removed by the animal and some were a good 10 feet away from the tree - there is a picture of one by my foot so you can get an idea of scale. There are some of the home and the tree.

The Hole
DSCF0684.jpg

The Back Door
DSCF0686.jpg

The Tree
DSCF0687.jpg

No, it's not SWMBO or our friend who can just be seen in this.

The Front Door
DSCF0697.jpg

Big Chunk o' Wood
DSCF0698.jpg

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
In the front door photo it looks like the vines/ivy have been cut with axe or knife, which suggests at least some human intervention, suggesting that the large piece of wood (which looks rotten) may not have been removed as a result of any residentual activity and the distance away also suggests the same......

The only thing I can think of would be a squirrel as far as mamals go, unless there are some foreign species in your neck of the woods.....other than that a bird of prey possibly but I know not which....think I'm a bit stumped here.

Smoggy

D

DrSin

I reckon the greater spotted lesser haired Somerset cider drinking possum!!!! LOL Squires would line it with leaves, grasses and mosses. Owls and other birds would also line it to some extent even if it with their own feathers. If not human I haven't got a clue.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
In the front door photo it looks like the vines/ivy have been cut with axe or knife, which suggests at least some human intervention, suggesting that the large piece of wood (which looks rotten) may not have been removed as a result of any residentual activity and the distance away also suggests the same......

The only thing I can think of would be a squirrel as far as mamals go, unless there are some foreign species in your neck of the woods.....other than that a bird of prey possibly but I know not which....think I'm a bit stumped here.

Smoggy

That ivy is really old and I think snapped when the branch whose stump eventually became a home snapped off. The animal that made the hole was seen taking chunks out of the tree so we're pretty sure what made it.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Dangermouse?
Actually, he lived in a postbox, didn't he. Erm...I suppose it could be his country retreat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've seen some enormous tree boles chipped out by woodpeckers, but those chunks look a touch on the massive, even for them :dunno:

Interesting puzzle though :D

cheers,
Toddy

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The way the wood has been taken out looks like rodent marks,the only rodents I know of with teeth that big are coypu and beaver,but beaver don't live in trees.I'm not sure about coypu though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE