Who likes Sea Buckthorn berries?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
My Dad makes jam and sells it to raise money for charity. He's interested in the weird and wonderful, just like us, so likes to experiment a bit.

I've just had a delivery of a couple of jars as my stocks were running low.

The first is my favourite Blackberry and Apple. Great in porridge and on toast. :)

The second is a bit more, er, interesting and I'm looking forward to opening it with a slight sense of trepidation yet anticipation!

It's Mixed Apple and Sea Buckthorn.

I don't know what you lot think of the flavour of Sea Buckthorn berries but it's kind of zesty and zingy with a bit of an oomph then a strange after taste. :lmao: (my mouth is imagining the taste now!) It's kinda nice though, just needs something adding to it.

If I remember correctly, Ray Mears describes it as fermented orange juice in flavour. Not quite what I would say but then I've not drunk it like he and Gordon Hillman did! He suggests mixing it with honey to take the edge off.

Anyone done any processing of Sea Buckthorn berries? (what are they called any way? Bucks?)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The discovered way that was found out at the summer bush moot was a small handful with strong tasty meat. Like you would with cranberries or rowan jelly. Having tasted sea buckthorn cooked with lamb, i am sure as you can be that this was the way they were consumed.

They have very high in nutritional content. The seed oil is used by nutritional therapists but it has side effects of causing diarrhea, but I think to ingest that quantity of the natural product maybe difficult. It has a very strong taste. I remember trying to eat it as a child and thinking it tasted revolting. When I saw RM and gordon with the pot juice I really wondered what on earth were they doing. I worked out after the bushmoot that you only need about 100gms to get the RDA of a lot vitamins.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The affect of Sea Buckthorne on an otherwise bland dish is wonderful I found at the Moot. I think the apple/ buckthorne thingy could be great if the balance is right.

I had them in a stew with Chureetha (Spanish sausage) one night. Another night I had them as the only significant flavour in a millet and cheese concoction with no herbs. Twas great!

So they go not only with strong flavours but can be the main flavour themselves also.

I'm thinking of growing them in my garden - apparently you can get commercial varieties, but I might try it from seed.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
That sounds interesting Rich.

It'll be a while before I get to the jar though, as I have to use up a jar of Elderberry, Rosehip and Apple that is so strong I can only eat it in small amounts. :)

xylaria

The affect of Sea Buckthorne on an otherwise bland dish is wonderful I found at the Moot. I think the apple/ buckthorne thingy could be great if the balance is right.

I had them in a stew with Chureetha (Spanish sausage) one night. Another night I had them as the only significant flavour in a millet and cheese concoction with no herbs. Twas great!

So they go not only with strong flavours but can be the main flavour themselves also.

I'm thinking of growing them in my garden - apparently you can get commercial varieties, but I might try it from seed.

I could get some you seed. There are several good productive bushes near where I live. The problem is they are growing on the roundabout on the A50 so they not edible due to polution. I am going take some seed off them myself and plant somewhere better. I was very suprised to see them there (stoke with a beach??) I had walked past them for months and only noticed them after the summer moot.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I could get some you seed. There are several good productive bushes near where I live. The problem is they are growing on the roundabout on the A50 so they not edible due to polution. I am going take some seed off them myself and plant somewhere better. I was very suprised to see them there (stoke with a beach??) I had walked past them for months and only noticed them after the summer moot.

I think I will say "yes" to that if I may. If your A50 bushes were planted by the council then they might be commercial varieties, so could have higher than average qualities. You might try cuttings, but if so you will need both the male and the female.

See PM.

xylaria

Thinking it would better to wait until the fruit is mature enough that the plant is dispersing seed naturally I have waited until the fruit has got ripe enough to pop when touched. I have been out this morning and harvested the fruit to retrieve to the seeds. Using RMs method of running your hands down the bows,it was effective, but the acidic juice get everywhere. It drips down your arm, squirts into eyes, turns your clothing orange, and it smells bad. The plants has really big thorns and it smarts getting the juice into scratches.

So now after cleaning up the seeds, I look like an umpa-lumpa and smell like a alcoholic. but I made some interesting discoveries

He weren't lieing when he said the smell gets up your nose, but it is very easy to pick large amounts. The 200ml of juice I have got today tastes like lemon juice, and now it is in a mug the alcoholic smell has mostly gone. I have found a good size dram of the juice a spoonful of honey and then top up with hot water makes for really nice drink, very simerlar to honey and lemon. It has that really good winter drink feel.

Another curious thing is though I was a few feet from a busy duel carriageway the air under the bushes tastes as clean as it does up on the peaks. As a lifelong city dweller clean air is very noticeable to me, and though i frequently ferret about in shrubbery, sea buckthorn is only plant I have notice this happen with. Needless to say though I am actually getting a liking for this plant, I not going to drink the pretty pleasant beverage I have made until I find/grow a clean source.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Xylaria,

Great the seeds arrived. 1000 thanks. I have been looking up how to sow them and it seems that they can be planted close to the surface of the soil in the Spring. I might put a few out over winter to get a bit frosted in case stratification helps at all. I will probably germinate them between damp kitchen paper towel layers on my window ledge early next year.

I guess I need to keep a number of plants until I know they produce good fruit and which ones are male so I have at least one of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE