Who invented the dangler style sheath?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Every knife I've ever owned has had a regular belt loop style sheath. After joining this forum I saw dangler sheaths commonly used.
I finally got to try one after buying a Enzo Trapper. I at first thought it might swing around like a sword so wasn't sure if I'd like it or not but after using it I think it's the finest, most comfortable knife carry method ever devised. I absolutely love it!
I'm curious, any idea as to who can claim it's invention?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The first ones I ever saw were the bowies made by the old Western Knife Company about a half century ago (at least that's when I saw them; don't really know how long they had already been making them)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I thik there are two kinds of "danglers". One is the tyoe used on e.g. Sami knives where the belt loop is a fairly thin leather thong (usually twisted). The second is the "ring" style, where the sheet and the belt loop are joined by a metal ring. The latter I *think* I have seen on a viking age knife sheet, but that one used more than one ring, so ICBW in my interpreation and memory.

Mar 24, 2010
Finland
bushnblade.com
I thik there are two kinds of "danglers". One is the tyoe used on e.g. Sami knives where the belt loop is a fairly thin leather thong (usually twisted). The second is the "ring" style, where the sheet and the belt loop are joined by a metal ring. The latter I *think* I have seen on a viking age knife sheet, but that one used more than one ring, so ICBW in my interpreation and memory.

I would like to add one more style.
Just string of cordage attached to the large button. Used on “Ainu makiri” knife from Japanese indigenous people.

so the style of "danglers" was invented really long time ago.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
It funny, I was wondering this just this morning as I really need to get going and make a couple of sheaths. Never used a dangler system and was wondering if it was more comfortable. I shall have to give it go.

Oct 24, 2011
I tried it for a short time It was a pain always getting in the way of easy movement felt like I had a jackrussel hanging on my leg then it dawned on me the only reson to tye it to my leg was if I wanted to do a quick draw on a bad guy. Bushcraft is about slowing down taking your time so a dangle sheath makes you slow things down take your time and injoy life.
Does anyone use a cord at the bottom of the sheath tied round the thigh or is that a bit wild west ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE