Who here uses DC3/4?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I've got one, and I have to say I'm impressed.

I wanted to get some japanese water stones but for a 1200/6000 grit combination stone at £25-30 and a DC4 at £15 I thought I'd get the DC4

the Instructions tell you to use a circular motion to sharpen your knife but I tried that and wasn't impressed. Instead I used the ray mears trick of using some nails to keep it in place, and used slicing motions then stropped on the inside of a leather belt and WOW, my opinel could cut through air, and even my cheap multi-tool can shave hair off my arm (I now have a bald patch on my arm and my GF doesn't understand why I did it).

Even though I haven't used a proper whetstone to use as a comparison I'm still very impressed with how sharp my knives got, I know that shaving is a good sign that it is sharp enough so I'm happy with that.

Does anyone else use these? the DC3 could be good to put in an emergency kit or something.

Just one question, it says "Although these materials get worn it will keep it's flat shape" does this mean that eventually it won't sharpen anymore? if so then how long should it last?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I use a DC4 and they are great, they also get better with age - less aggressive.

Not found them much cop with scandi grinds though but that was to be expected given the surface area. I have kinda given up on scandi grinds so the DC4 is perfect for me..

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Why don't you like using a scandi grind on them? (let me get this right, a scandi grind is where there is just a single bevel like on mora and the woodlore knife?)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have and use a DC3 with my woody25 and it`s fine, a little fiddley but thats down to the size(should have gone for a DC4) still i don`t really notice it in my pocket :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are okay - they work fine. I have lately switched over to a DMT Duafold which I find easier on a flat bevel due the handle

DMFWFC.jpg

Works nicely as an axe file too which is handy

Red

I bought a DC4 and at first I liked it. Although the diamond side was a bit too aggressive. It has calmed down now with use.

Unfortunately, the DC4 delaminated. The diamond side came away from the other side (can't remember what that's made of now). I stuck them back together with a bit of araldite.

I did begin to find the DC4 a bit of a weighty beast though considering it's size. It seemed to hang quite heavy in my jacket pocket.

So, taking all the above things into consideration, I changed to a small Arkansas stone.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Bought a DC4 about 3 months ago and I like it. The diamond side is much less coarse now but I have got nowhere near removing the marks on the ceramic side.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Why don't you like using a scandi grind on them? (let me get this right, a scandi grind is where there is just a single bevel like on mora and the woodlore knife?)

Thats the kind, single bevel, sometimes with a tiny micro-bevel.
I found it fine for the micro-bevel/secndary but its too fiddly to get nice even strokes when compared to a larger bench stone oil/water..
I very rarely take my shing scandi out now as i prefer a smaller micro gound blade as its easier to maintain.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I use a DC4, or try to anyway... A little small but it seems to work alright, though without a log and nails, it's hard to keep still.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
:) I have the DC4 and a DC3 which is stuck to the reverse of my F1 and find them very good, to the point that I sold most of the others I had bought on ebay. The DC3 on the back of the F1 is just the diamond side but I find stropping with my leather belt does the job. I would recomend them.

I carry my DC4 wrapped in a small piece of that no-slip rubber matting (it's mainly intended for car dashboards, and you can sometimes get it from £ pound shops). On a flat surface does away with the need for banging nails in. (As long as you don't apply too much pressure, which I wouldn't recommend with the aggressive diamond side anyway!)

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I have the DC4 and find it works perfectly for any sort of grind....I actually prefer it for deep scandi grinds. Its weight seems quite trivial to me. I cut a piece of the rubber shelf liner material that I keep in the case for a non-slip mat. The nailing to a round log seemed less than ideal to me.

My IJ Aito came with a slightly hollow “flat” and a secondary edge. I had worked it to a nearly flat scandi on water stones and ceramics long ago, but a session on the DC4 really revealed that it is still far from flat. It was smoking sharp after this workout on the DC4.

eyejayfallkniven2630dh9.jpg

The other side hollow is actually a bit bigger but will evenutally disappear.

eyejayfallkniven22637ab4.jpg

I could pretty easily keep this edge going with the DC4 I think. A nice stone...one I would not like to be without.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Slightly :offtopic: I know, but have you ever read "Reaper Man" by Terry Pratchett? he ends up honing the blade of his scythe with the wind, very evocative... will have a re-read and post an impression... even Ray couldn't do this.:lmao:
Goatboy.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Is that a monk..................aaargh

Yep - a lot of us on here. Didn't like his latest as much as normal though - all a bit wishy washy tree huggy for me!

Red

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Two slightly puzzled zephyrs are a better result than a bald forearm.....
Lots of fans here!
I use an Aldi diamond block, followed by various grades of wet and dry and a final polish with a loaded strop and a naked strop.
Well...mostly I just strop, rarely needing to do a full sharpen...I have a couple of DMTs for field work, and a leather belt. The top of car windows work well too, as do empty whisky bottles....:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE