whittling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I saw some pics of some nice carved spoons someone posted and I was wondering what else some of you like to carve. I think someone mentioned woodturning? I like to carve little doodads like these:

whittlins1c.jpg

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
Fantastic! I love them. I'm just getting into whitling and don't have much skill. I like to carve usful things (althought I can't carve spoons or bowls yet as I don't have a crooked knife. Well, Christmas is coming :-D) I also like to carve little totems.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
this is what i shall be doing if i ever get left on a desrt island! :lol:

so how long did the chain take?

i'm just wondering how many usefull things could have been made in the time it took :rolleyes:, best left to young prisoners with life sentences, though they probably wouldn't be allowed knives :lol:

i'm all for carving bowls and spoons ect but i'm not very good at it, i can make loads of tent pegs though :oops:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Chains like that take 6 or 8 hours. The ball in cage can be carved in 2-3 hours.

Chains like this take a little longer.

ballswchain1b.jpg

Carving is fun and relaxing. Well-worth making time for, imo.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That little pocket knife is really all you need but an Xacto knife with some small narrow blades can be handy sometimes. Or you grind the blades on your pocket knife to suit ya.

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
Hope you don't mind me reviving an old thread.

I love to whittle, but I suck at it. Here are pics of my first first twig chicken and first two ball-n-cages that I made last spring. The chicken is a birch (IIRC) branch and the B-n-Cs are from a basswood (Lime) branch. I have other projects in various stages of completion but never get around to finishing them. :roll:

240295-cheekin.jpg

242767-ball-n-cage.jpg

245421-ball-n-cage3a.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That's a Schrade Old Timer 340T. Great little knife. Cold Steel makes some nice carbon steel stockman's that are pretty good whittlers but they cost a bit more than the OT.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE