whittlin'

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i spotted a tutorial somewhere for whittling a "woodsprit", so i had a go.

rbf9ye.jpg

sorry the pic's the wrong way round, i wasn't thinking when i uploaded it.

what do you think for a first attempt?

cheers

stuart

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Nice one Stu, great first piece. I've recently got into carving these woodspirits, great way to chill out and make sonething useful.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I was surprised how easy it was southey, i'm usually crap at stuff like this but i can honestly say i impressed myself with my first effort.

i'd second that andy, shockingly simples.

a couple of tips that might make life a little easier for anyone who wants to have a go at one of these:
- make sure your knife is sharp, strop
- a bigger piece of timber is easier to work than a smaller piece of timber
- strop
- (egg sucking time) some woods are easier to work than others, you want something easy to work with good grain - i used a piece of willow
- seasoned timber acts more predictably than green timber and so is often easier to work even though it's harder(it won't split anytime soon either) - my willow had been standing by the fireplace for over 18 months
- strop
- slow down, if something's going wrong just leave it alone for a while, work on a different bit of the carving or just stop carving all together for a while, next time you look at the problem there's a good chance it'll have sorted itself out
- last but not least, strop - i really can't overstate the importance of a sharp blade

cheers for all the comments guys

stuart

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi guys has anyone got the link to the woodspirits tutorial icant find it regards dave

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
thats brilliant for first go, I think I would create a little tinder pile (of feckups) before I got anything as good as that. Nice

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
thanks for all the positive comments guys

chris - i'll bring you a nice piece of dry willow along to spitewinter if you'd like?

andy - too right, so addictive that i broke my £2 bushcraft rule and spent a whole 12pounds on a frost whittler

cheers

stuart

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
thanks for all the positive comments guys

andy - too right, so addictive that i broke my £2 bushcraft rule and spent a whole 12pounds on a frost whittler

cheers

stuart

I'm looking at v-scorps now, ideal for the beard and hair apparently. Flexcut are decent blades Stu. Sharp straight out the packaging.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I'm looking at v-scorps now, ideal for the beard and hair apparently. Flexcut are decent blades Stu. Sharp straight out the packaging.

just looking on their website now, some really nice looking tools, and not at all expensive.
i think my christmas list might just have filled up!

do you know of a UK supplier at all?

cheers

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE