Whitling Tools any Recomendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jupiter Jean

Feb 6, 2017
Kent
I'd like to get a set of whitling tools but not too expensive.
Would be grateful for any info & where to buy them.
Many thanks

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Have a look on amazon or ebay. Flexcut whittling jacks are good, but pricey, Mora carving knives are good and well priced. I know people who have reground the blades on their SAKs to make a whitling set. You can do a lot with just a good sharp penknife.
Springfields have a good selection.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Within the realm of "whittling," there are several distinctly different styles.
Most all can be done with a 3" folder but you get what you pay for.
My small blades which would do this are no more than 1" in length.
Flexcut and Moor are good brands. Flexcut is probably easier for you to find.

Honestly, I don't know of bladesmiths in this parish who regularly make such tools.

Lynn Doughty (USA) is a virtuoso and uses no more than a box-cutter.

The difference being the concept of what is called "carving sharp."
This isn't hair-shaving sharp. This is cut yourself very badly sharp.
If you must hold the wood, invest in a butcher's chain mail mesh glove.
Cut protection yes, stab protection, no. Same for Kevlar carving gloves.

Combo 1K/4k waterstone , some simple box card strop with CrOx/AlOx honing compound.
A good understanding of the needed 12 degree bevel angle and the learned ability to hold that.
You can put a good edge on a new razor blade.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I recommend ben orford with my both hand up , great craftsman with great tools , you better pay a bit extra but get a very nice set which will last for a long time and which will work very well

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
A good start without paying a lot, (and where you wouldnt lose money if you decided carving wasnt for you after all) would be to get a mora 120 with its slim 2 1/4 inch blade. Thats what I'd start with rather than get custom tools made up straight away. Moras are OK. You can then learn the grips, how to sharpen (moras are easy they almost sharpen themselves) and develop strength in your fingers thumb and wrists. I have 2 or 3 that get used regularly, even though I have other native Canadian and Finnish knives as well nowadays. If you want to carve hollows such as spoons kuksa's bowls etc then I'd start off with a mora 162, you can do a lot with it. I still use mine after almost 10 years although I replaced it with a massive handle which works much much better for me. I am a great believer in doing as much as you can with the fewest tools. Oh and elbow adzes are fantastic to use as well.

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
Boker tree brand whittler grand little knife it pretty much the only thing i use. Three Carbon steel blades take and hold a wicked edge, that a small fine stone and a tiny oil bottle in a baccy tin and away you go.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Half the learning is in the sharpening and honing of your tools.
Half the learning is in the design of the shape.
The rest of it is the actual carving.

Jupiter Jean

Feb 6, 2017
Kent
Thanks for al the advice & a chance to use some tools at the Moot.
A lovely parcel has just arrived in time for my birthday & Christmas pressy combo!
Anyone else looking, I've just managed to buy about £300 of tools for £87 on eBay yippee.
If you need me, mum will be in the garden......for some time😂

Wayland

Hárbarðr
OK. A fraction of the price of most of the suggestions made so far.

I got a set of four chip carving knives from Proops Brothers like these.

il_570xN.1110813335_6d17.jpg

Sharpened them up a bit and fettled the handles and did most of the work on this with them.

Wayland-Kista-Double-Panel-700.jpg

Outstanding value for money and by the time you outgrow them (if you do) you will know exactly what you want to replace them with.

Jupiter Jean

Feb 6, 2017
Kent
Wow Wayland that is an amazing piece!
Missed you at the Moot this year.
You'll have to give a masterclass next year on carving.

Jupiter Jean

Feb 6, 2017
Kent
I went with Flexcut, Carl and Lou had tools that I borrowed at the Moot which I found comfortable to hold and easy to use.
I now have 6 micro tools, 5 larger tools with handles already fixed (so no having to change blades/handles each time)
they also put in a sharpening block & compound.
Now I need some time, still unpacking & washing after the Moot!

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
The best carver i have used is a Machris carving knife made by Scottish knifemaker Chis Grant and designed by full time wood carver John Mac .have a look .

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayland: what do you think of the steel in the tools that you bought?

Not bad considering.

Once I had the geometry as I liked it on a stone I just gave them a quick polish on the mop every couple of days or so to keep them keen.

I'm not fetishistic about sharpening, if it does the job that's good enough for me.

Never been too interested in shaving my face or my arms.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Good. I wondered how long you thought that the edges lasted.
That's a massive piece of detailed relief carving and you really did bring it off.
Not whittling in the least.

I don't carve hair, either. I use "try-sticks", just pieces of the wood that I intend to carve, to test edges.

I hope that you have hidden your signature in that carving. It's a shame not to sign it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE