Whitling/carving knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Try making your own! :)

All the above was made with scraps and a 20p file. I have a duplicate file if you'd like me to make you one.

Or.. buy a Mora 106 or Flexcut starter set.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I do hope that you make your own blade. Given the style of carving that you plan to do, think long and hard about size and shape.
I've repurposed some blades, changing the bevel and the shape with handles to fit my hands.
There's a nice satisfaction in using them instead of conventional wood carving tools of any sweep.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I've been using a Swiss Army knife for whittling, large blade for bulk and small for the finishing, I am only carving small stuff though.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
If you are just whittling stuff like wood spirits you dont want anything too long in blade length, it will just get in your way and you will be mainly using about the first inch of a 3"-4" blade. If you have the money flexcuts are great or if you are on a budget, type "whittling" in ebay and there are some made by proops brothers as cheap as £7 posted!

HTH

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If you are just making very small stuff, jigsaw blades can be filed and sharpened. They are brittle, so don't keep the blades very long (to reduce leverage and flex).

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
As has been said definitely a mora 120 if your looking low price quality carving blade that is easy to keep razor sharp and great for fine detail work.

I use one regularly for carving and it has never done me wrong.
If you want to/can stretch to something a little more bespoke a blade from Nic Westerman is the way to go. Although I don't own one myself I have used them and own several of his other tools which are truly top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
For a fixed blade for whittling I'd say the mora 122 better for detail work yet decent for heavier removal. Good two bladed sak like the hiker works well to. I've not been super fond of folders that don't lock for carving.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
For carving small doodads when I’m out in the toolies, I like to carry a pocket knife. Easy to tote around. Some folks don’t like ‘em because of the slip joint lock, but some pocket knives have locking blades. I like to modify old electrician knives for this and one of the blades on an electrician knife usually has a liner lock. You can often find these old knives at flea markets for just a few dollars. Use a dremel to cut the blades down, shape and polish them the way you want, and you may or may not want to replace the scales with more comfy versions. With a little elbow grease, you can have a very nice carver.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You can also make a nice little carver from an Old Timer 194OT. It has a blade that locks. Just cut it down and shape the blade. A nail nick can be cut with a dremel tool.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ecarvers2b.jpg
    ecarvers2b.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 98
  • ecarvers3b.jpg
    ecarvers3b.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 99
  • ecarvers4b.jpg
    ecarvers4b.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 98
  • ecarvers1b.jpg
    ecarvers1b.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 99
  • otcarver1b.jpg
    otcarver1b.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 98

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE