White on the Wight

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Not an overnighter or an expedition, but for the last couple of days I have been snowed in and confined to the town I live in as the only ways in and out are up steep hills that have turned into sheets of ice. Not Scotland or some of the wild conditions you guys brave, but this is the IoW and our council appears to have sold off most of their snowploughs, gritters and not stocked up on grit for the roads.
OK rant over.
Today, cabin fever (and no BB :rolleyes: :lmao:) got the better of me and I took the 4x4 out and drove a few miles to get some fresh air.

IMG_0711.jpg

Getting out of the car and seeing this view of the English Channel made it all worthwhile.

IMG_0727.jpg

One of the nice things about winter on a holiday island is that there are half as many people about and in this weather virtually no one around.

IMG_0731.jpg

This poor buzzard would have liked to have seen more wildlife about today too.

IMG_0716.jpg

Had a wander about through some woodland. Lots of rabbit and some fox tracks to be seen.

IMG_0740.jpg

Out of the woods and up to get some views of the lighthouse and the sea.

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

More snow on the way….

IMG_0773.jpg

Time to sit down and get a brew on…

IMG_0785.jpg

The thing on the cup isn’t a dog turd by the way, it’s a chunk of home made beef biltong!

Now here’s the way to have a "brew with a view" ;)

IMG_0787.jpg

Not a bad way to spend an afternoon and blow away the cobwebs. It would have been perfect with a shot of sloe gin, but I had to wait until I’d driven home for that.

This is where we were. Right on the southern most tip of the Isle of Wight at St Catherine’s point and lighthouse.

IMG_0791.jpg

Finally, for all you who have stuck with me thus far, here’s a pic of my blonde female partner, naked but for a fur coat, posing for the camera……

IMG_0781.jpg

Not a bad day really....:)

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I spent mine pulling the kids to the lake and back, i'm knackerd now.

It's what Dad's are for Rob. Well, until your kids are the age of mine and then I'd expect them to pull along, but slim chance of that :rolleyes: :D

PS You'd have looked the part with some of those fake Xmas antlers ;)

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Great photos,whats the 123 running on ?
The weather should be good for the Garlic crop http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/
from the planting instructions pdf :-
There is no advantage in bringing your garlic indoors or in the glasshouse. Garlic needs a
period of cold to vernalise the clove and trigger the chemical mechanism that induces it to split into cloves and bulb up.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Looks like a great day Kev. Nice bag you have there.

At least your dog is near you once in a while too, I see a ginger flash in the distance when I take mine out.

Lovely part of the world and thanks for sharing the pics.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Great photos,whats the 123 running on ?
The weather should be good for the Garlic crop http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/
from the planting instructions pdf :-
There is no advantage in bringing your garlic indoors or in the glasshouse. Garlic needs a
period of cold to vernalise the clove and trigger the chemical mechanism that induces it to split into cloves and bulb up.

I've had two of these over the best part of 30 years and always run them on unleaded, Four star for the first one. Never let me down and I use wetfire tinder now to prime it.
Had a look at my three rows of garlic on my plot today. They look as healthy as anything. My Broad beans are looking a little sad though, but I imagine they'll pick up soon enough :)

Last edited:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
At least your dog is near you once in a while too, I see a ginger flash in the distance when I take mine out.

Stop taking it out so early on Rich and keep the dog on a lead and perhaps you'll see more of ginger flashing. The dog must scare her off :rolleyes: :lmao::lmao:

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I always think of the IOW as being balmy (as in warm, laidback, mellow :rolleyes: ) I never gave it a thought that you might be snowed in too.

Beautiful though :) great to be able to see so far :cool:

Thanks for sharing,

cheers,
Toddy

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I always think of the IOW as being balmy (as in warm, laidback, mellow :rolleyes: ) I never gave it a thought that you might be snowed in too.

Beautiful though :) great to be able to see so far :cool:

Thanks for sharing,

cheers,
Toddy

As always, it's easy to take where you live for granted, but there are far worse places to live and coming from inner city Birmingham, I speak with some experience ;) :)

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I love that dog mate, hard to work out what size it is. I used to have a border/beardie x greyhound that looked very similar. Looks like you had a great day.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I love that dog mate, hard to work out what size it is. I used to have a border/beardie x greyhound that looked very similar. Looks like you had a great day.

She's a Parson Russell terrier. I'd guess at her being about the length and height of a whippet, but more solid. Intelligent, but completely fearless and has had her fair share of rabbits and the odd rat. Unfortunately, she has taken a shine to cats of late and I'm sure our neighbour knows where his went :rolleyes:
She's a great companion though, especially on days like today :)
Laid in front of the fire as I type :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE