White Metal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have several kilos white metal (7/3 lead/tin mix?) some in blocks, others old worn figures

Would it have a use? Anyone want it?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
If you want to make bearings, tin soldiers or old type castings it is ok. It probably contains some antimony or copper too. It's main use was accurate but non load bearing castings. Journal bearings are load bearing but in a limited way.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't need it, Tengu, I have a stash of my own, but I used it to make moulded pieces for Dungeons and Dragons. Mazac and the like melt easily and pour tidily too.
It would make excellent tree ornaments, like the fairy doors, windows, eyes, etc., too. Won't rot or rust, so to the good :)

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
What weight? I wonder if it can be cast in to blocks.
I have a home gamma spectroscopy setup I am in the process of assembling lead blocks to use as shielding to block out natural background radiation.
I am to tight to buy lead though soon wait until I come across some doing site clearance etc and then melt it into blocks. I was ecstatic when I moved house recently and found a 10kg roll at the back of the shed!!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, I have several Kg, at least.

And Dad has some lead sash weights. Im sure we can find more.

Provided you have a mould it can be cast into whatever shape you please.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Of all the Metals out there , this is the worst and most responsible for todays problems.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
As you do.... :)

Can I enquire what ones intentions are ?
Just to investigate what exactly various ore samples I have collected over the years are giving off in term of radiation. Have a google, it’s quite fascinating and you can identify individual isotopes and decay daughters with a gammaspec setup

But to get good clear spectroscopy you need to isolate out background and cosmos radiation and run it for a long time. And that will take several dozen kg of lead cast into bricks to surround the setup! That was I can detect emissions that are lower than naturally occurring background (or that are masked by background radiation)

Geek on!

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
What weight? I wonder if it can be cast in to blocks.
I have a home gamma spectroscopy setup I am in the process of assembling lead blocks to use as shielding to block out natural background radiation.
I am to tight to buy lead though soon wait until I come across some doing site clearance etc and then melt it into blocks. I was ecstatic when I moved house recently and found a 10kg roll at the back of the shed!!
Y'what ??
Natural background radiation ?? Where do you live and what's the supposed milliSV load ??
No point in stressing your foundations with useless lead or tungsten when you could stack useful water bottles against the walls. Same load and better absorption, unless Radiation is Cobalt. Dirty dirty source.
Even out the lopsided load by harvesting rainwater stacked against the external skin.
Go and chat with NDT companies, they've probably got a barrow full of lead collimaters in the back since we all moved to tungsten ones

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE