Whips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Ok so Indy was on the other night. I've always wanted to learn the whip since my reenactment days. Is the stuff they did in the film even remotely possible with a real whip and no stuntmen?
If I get one I'll have to make it - have you seen the price of those things? I thought it might do for hunting, it should be possible to take game and fish with one ( with years of practise ),
Realgar

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
have you seen the bit where the guy comes out of the crowd sodding about with the swords and Indi calmly reaches down pulls out his gun and shoots him :shock: ! theres a lesson there! :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: mind you if you got a skinny whip and tied a hook length to it you probably catch a fish if you was lucky :naughty:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've seen some people do some very impressive things with whips, they can be incredibly accurate and in the right hands they can be used for swinging on etc I don't know if I would trust my weight to one but Indies is probably half of mine :rolmao:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I have a whip made by David Morgan...the fellow who made Indy's....I can attest that while a number of interesting things can be done with a whip, it takes hours and hours of practice to be any good at all... Fun, yes, dangerous, a bit, expensive, certainly, impressive, yes...sort of, until you crack yourself across the face...neat welt though :eek:):

10' Kangaroo Bull Whip
Hawkthree.jpg

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
I have also seen impressive things done with a whip including lighting matches. With work it can become an extention of you, like a lariet. Why would you need a license for one? :?: Don't your stockmen still use them at times? It is really a long riding crop after all.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i went on a school trip to alton towers a while back... im not sure why but they were selling proper stock man style whips.. (not god qulity but good fun) it only took a little practice to be able to cause EXTREAM ammounts of pain to other members of the trip and really livened up the bus trip home...
would love to give it a proper go

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
have you seen the bit where the guy comes out of the crowd sodding about with the swords and Indi calmly reaches down pulls out his gun and shoots him ! theres a lesson there!

Interestin anacdote about that bit of the film. Apparently it was s'pposed to be a really complicated fight scene, with swords whirling everywhere but on the day Indy had the squits and made the decision to pull his gun......... :shock:

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
The Indiana Jones films actually feature whips of various lengths, so it's fair to say that not everything shown can be done with any one whip. Further information can be found on www.indygear.com which is not exactly bushcrafty, but did put me onto Wested who kindly made my Indy leather jacket... I'm not a sad git, I swear. No, really...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE