whichkife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Looking for input on a new knife. I had a karesuendo puuko before. The only thing i did like about it was the handle. The blade had dufferent angled grinds on each side. And IMO didnt hold an edge at all. So i gave it away. Im using a mora and an opinel at the moment. But looking at a more permanent knife. The helle-eggan looks nice, and i read good things about them. Never really owned a stainless before. Also possibly a woodlire clone etc. My budget is prefferably about £50 upto about £100. Any ideas what to get and where from? Cheers

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Very similar thread here with many suggestion:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87774&p=1060454&highlight=#post1060454

Ive recently caught the make your own bug, so suggest buying a blank (or some 01Tool steel and shaping your own if your really feeling fancy), forking out the main bit of cash for a pretty handle material, some araldite, sawing, rasping and sanding and you will have a lifelong partner which has your blood, sweat and tears invested in it!
Easy self make option is Enzo trapper kits, or you can buy a ready made one with a wood handle in AUS 8 stainless, 01 tool or D2 for less that £100 - and they are amazing knives!

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
You could do an awfull lot worse that the enzo trapper as said above. Various steels available and in two grind options. Buy or biuld your own. All i will suggest is if you can try before you buy.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
get a custom knife... this way you will not have "surprises" from the quality pov. plus, it will be made to meet your exact requirements.

I would agree that commisioning a knife will get you the best result - but at a budget of £100 you would be hard pushed to commission a small neck knife, let alone a woody clone. As for "surprises" with the quality of an enzo, I beleive they have an excellent reputation and I for one have not heard a bad thing said about them.

Also, from personal experience, I would not have really had the slightest idea of what my perasonal ideal bushcraft knife to commision someone to create would be after just having used a couple of knives. I have lots of knives that I am currently trying to find the time to use and gradually picking up pro's and cons of each design over prolonged use, My preliminary finding is that a simple woolore clone is the best for me (but then, is also the one Ive been using the longest). I am fortunate to have the luxary of disposable income at present which allows me to do this (i.e. buy lots of shiny pointy things), and I know others do not. THis bring me back to Johnnyboys point - try before you buy. If you can have a little go with some other's knives at meets, then you will know what feels comfortable for you. Or see my previous point - make your own custom. You will see how it feels as you gradually rasp away the handle, and after some use you can still refine the handle a bit (well, take more off, not put it back ;)).

Hope that makes sense, and helps.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have a couple made by Hillbill and would say they are just brilliant knives. I was fortunate to be there whilst he made them for me and his work is bob on.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Dorsetwoodland blades, contact duncan he will sort you out a decent Woodlife clone mate.
Hopenthat helps.
take care.
lee.

I would agree that commisioning a knife will get you the best result - but at a budget of £100 you would be hard pushed to commission a small neck knife, let alone a woody clone. As for "surprises" with the quality of an enzo, I beleive they have an excellent reputation and I for one have not heard a bad thing said about them.

Also, from personal experience, I would not have really had the slightest idea of what my perasonal ideal bushcraft knife to commision someone to create would be after just having used a couple of knives. I have lots of knives that I am currently trying to find the time to use and gradually picking up pro's and cons of each design over prolonged use, My preliminary finding is that a simple woolore clone is the best for me (but then, is also the one Ive been using the longest). I am fortunate to have the luxary of disposable income at present which allows me to do this (i.e. buy lots of shiny pointy things), and I know others do not. THis bring me back to Johnnyboys point - try before you buy. If you can have a little go with some other's knives at meets, then you will know what feels comfortable for you. Or see my previous point - make your own custom. You will see how it feels as you gradually rasp away the handle, and after some use you can still refine the handle a bit (well, take more off, not put it back ;)).

Hope that makes sense, and helps.

it makes a lot of sense; my quality comment aimed at the "karesuando incident" from the original post.

of course, the best way is to try different knives until you learn what suits you and then build it :D. but that's a long, costly path, that will end up costing way over the available budget. that's why i suggested the custom knife - the knifemaker will make a good knife, and, with a little help (feed-back) from the client, it will be suited for the client's needs. the worst that might happen would be that the client, after testing the knife, will find it not to be "the ideal knife" - in which case a custom is easy to sell in order to buy another one. the only problem is to find a knifemaker who will accept a budget of 100... it is my (educated :D) opinion that a quality knife can be made for this price, if the materials are carefully selected.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Cheers for the unput. £100 is just a rough figure. I just dont think a £400 will be 4 times better. And i dobt want to keep buying knives at £100 a pop till i find the right one. Ive heard alot of good things about enzo trappers. But with regards to trying etc. Theres not much going on my with regards to meets etc. I thought knife lending was a no no?

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
it makes a lot of sense; my quality comment aimed at the "karesuando incident" from the original post.

of course, the best way is to try different knives until you learn what suits you and then build it :D. but that's a long, costly path, that will end up costing way over the available budget. that's why i suggested the custom knife - the knifemaker will make a good knife, and, with a little help (feed-back) from the client, it will be suited for the client's needs. the worst that might happen would be that the client, after testing the knife, will find it not to be "the ideal knife" - in which case a custom is easy to sell in order to buy another one. the only problem is to find a knifemaker who will accept a budget of 100... it is my (educated :D) opinion that a quality knife can be made for this price, if the materials are carefully selected.
There you go.
http://tuluskivi.suntuubi.com/?cat=27
http://tuluskivi.suntuubi.com/?cat=7
http://tuluskivi.suntuubi.com/?cat=35

Ilkka is an old styled blacksmith, bowmaker and wilderness guide. The BushProwler is his own EDC.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Love the bushprowler.
That looks like alot for the money.
Also check out DWB and Rob Evans.If you are looking just for a blade Dave Budd makes some
beautiful ones.Do lots of looking and ask folks to let you handle some different ones too.
Good luck! Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE