which whet stone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nettles150390

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
High Melton, Doncaster

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've used the DC4 and Arkansas stones, not that set though.

Arkansas stones are good and will give you a good edge. If I were buying that set I'd probably go for the 8" set and use it as a bench set.

The DC4 is good for when you're out and about but I wouldn't rely on it as my main sharpening stone.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
The dc4 is quite small but as mentioned, handy if you are out and about.

I have one and find it quickly gives a razor sharp edge on some of my smaller knives. However their quality is said to be a bit hit and miss lately with various issues being reported. E.g. the ceramic side separating from the metal side. Mine is still going strong though.

Not tried the Arkansas stones but these are worth a look too:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/japanese-combination-waterstones

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've use a similar set-up. A bit bigger though, and the lower two stones were always in an oil bath. I like that set up a lot.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
personally I'm not a huge fan of either, but being positive

The Tristone has the advantages that you have a larger surface area making sharpening faster and easier, it also has 3 grits making sharpening more tweakable (a polished edge isn't always the best edge and you can work on just the finest if a touch up or go trough all 3 for an overhaul). BUT I don't like oil on account of it being messy and makes truing your stones up more difficult.

The DC4 is very popular in bushcraft mostly because it is small and so can be taken out with you. I don't personally ever find the need to sharpen my knives whilst I'm out an about. I prefer to do a proper job at home with a full sized set of stones and then not be a twit with my bade when out. If the knife needs a touch up then a strop is all that is needed normally.

Mr.punch

Forager
Oct 15, 2012
somerset/devon border
personally I'm not a huge fan of either, but being positive

The Tristone has the advantages that you have a larger surface area making sharpening faster and easier, it also has 3 grits making sharpening more tweakable (a polished edge isn't always the best edge and you can work on just the finest if a touch up or go trough all 3 for an overhaul). BUT I don't like oil on account of it being messy and makes truing your stones up more difficult.

The DC4 is very popular in bushcraft mostly because it is small and so can be taken out with you. I don't personally ever find the need to sharpen my knives whilst I'm out an about. I prefer to do a proper job at home with a full sized set of stones and then not be a twit with my bade when out. If the knife needs a touch up then a strop is all that is needed normally.

What stones do you use? If you don't mind me asking.
Thanks

forestschoolmatlot

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2013
Wiltshire
not be a twit with my blade when out. If the knife needs a touch up then a strop is all that is needed normally.

Ditto.

I changed being really obsessed with constant unnecessary sharpening (or retaining sharpness for pedants out their) for more regular stropping with compound on a bit of leather stuck to an iPhone cover. Its less admin and better for your knife.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Wouldn't use a DC4 on anything other than Mora or in an emergency.

Don't like oil becasue it seems I unable to keep it off my hands, especially with a small arkansas stone. Slippery & sharp edges not a good recipe.

Set of whetstones (see Da Budd's webpage), dc4 & hunters belt from decathlon (not as good a glued piece of leather onto flat wood, but you are more likely to have it with you).

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Over the years I have used oil stones, diamond and ceramic to sharpen chisels and plane irons as a cabinet maker, last summer I changed to waterstones and noticed a dramatic changein the speed of sharpening and reprofiling edged, they are less messy than oil but do have 2 major draw backs, 1 tools need to be dryed and oiled after or they rust in a heart beat, 2 as the stones are more fryable and cut faster they need to be flattened very regularly or you will end up putting a dip in the stone and not give the best edge.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
in the workshop I use Ceramic waterstones, such as the Chosera stones by Naniwa. I also use Naniwa Super Stones and Shapton ceramic stones. I have single grit bricks ranging from about 200grit to 16000grit. They are much harder than most waterstones, so wear more slowly and work particularly well on harder steels. They are quite pricey though, mostly starting at £50 a piece and going up to a couple of hundred nearly! That's what I use when I'm sharpening 'at home'.

When I'm at shows demonstrating or I'm teaching folk, I currently use some Chinese waterstones as Swallow has kindly linked to. They are cheap to purchase, each block has two different grits (meaning that unlike the more common Ice Bear/kingstones, you don't double up on 1000 grit), easy to use having good feedback, and cut fast enough. Although they are pretty soft (certainly compared to the Chosera stones!), it does mean that they are fast to true up on a paving slab with a sprinkle of sand ;)

I strop on a piece of leather glued to a board and with a rub of stropping compound. I use a couple of different compounds (on separate strops) depending on the type of edge I'm after. If I'm touching up my EDC knife when out then I have some stropping compound rubbed into the edge of my knife sheath and I just use that to strop quickly :)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
These days I'm mostly using old stones I picked up at various car boot sales, usually for about 50p a piece. Most will work fine with water once they've been cleaned up a bit, and most sellers just don't value them.

Dave

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
http://www.fine-tools.com/kombischleifstein.html

There are a few good combi water stones on this page.

The DC4 is a handy pocket solution but as mentioned above, unless your lopping and topping acres of turnip, or are on a multi day wilderness trip etc there should be little need to field sharpen. The hone side of this stone isn't that fine really, fine enough for a good burr free edge but it won't put a polish on it.

A good stone makes a proper job

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE