which tripod and ball head combo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Hi Guys

Well i have grown sick and tired of my cheapy jessops tripod with it pan and tilt head and i really dont like having my D90 on something so flimsy so, i have decided to invest in a decent tripod and ball head.

My budget is £150 can stretch to £180.

Your recommendations then please my good sirs and ladies.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
general purpose, but mostly outside for landscape shots. Tripod as i want to experiment with long exposures and i may use a lightweight video camera for time lapse shots.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I am curious as to why you have decided and a ball head for landscape shots.

Adjustments to landscapes and getting things level for things like multiple shots (to stitch together) are much easier on pan tilt heads.

I do have a ball head on my Manfrotto, but i do a fair amount of sprts and wildlife stuff. There are still times i wish i had a pan tilt head when shooting landscapes.

That said anything by Manfrotto, Slik or Benbo within your price range will be an improvement.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
My siggestion is go to a shop and look at whats available as I didnt like the manfrotto I tried as it took toong to set up but when I have seen reviews in magazines since they have been different designs
I bought a Slik 500 EZ pro which is great

The Benbo pods are really strange beasts - setting them up's been compared to wrestling with an octopus. Mine's an ancient example of the Mk1, massively overengineered - but my cousin's modern Benbo Trekker is a very lightweight bendy thing by comparison. Much more portable - but...

I forgive mine its odd hinge & handling characteristics because of its great rigidity - but the trekker isn't in the same class in that respect, yet still has the oddball hinge etc.

Their strength is in their versatility - they're good for close to ground work and macros generally. But they are quite strange things to get used to - and there are plenty who hate them.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I would also recommend the benbo trekker - they are a joy to use once you are used to them and so much quicker to adjust. Plus they are well made, lightweight and easy to hang your bag or summit on to increase mass. Honestly once you are used to the benbo way every other tripod Ive used since feels slow and royal pita.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE