Tripod choice and carry options

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
Hi,

I have recently purchased my first DSLR camera, a Canon D600 nearly new off of someone who upgraded to a full frame Nikon. Some of the pictures on her have inspired me to try and take some decent photos rather than just getting out and about.

I have been teaching myself to use the camera, and would now like to get a tripod for long exposure and bracketing shots on Dartmoor. Can anyone recommend a decent tripod in the budget £70-£80 please? If a little more, that would be fine.

Secondly, I need a slightly larger rucksack to carry camera, and came across the Wisport 55l Reindeer Hunt, which with the rifle carry feature looks as though it could be used for a camera tripod. Has anyone got any other recommendations for carrying a tripod over roughish terrain with gear to allow a couple of night's stay?

http://www.military1st.co.uk/reindeerhunt55brown-wisport-reindeer-hunt-55l-rucksack-brown.html

Thanks in advance.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
On that budget I would say it may need to be second hand to be much use with a D600 and a decent lens.

THIS would be a good start but may not fold as small as you want. This a complete tripod I have a 500DX which I use for the beach and its a good piece of kit for the money. I have a Gitzo set of carbon legs that were £200 without a head and a Slik travel tripod and a gorilla pod.

You would probably pay as much for the Slik 400 on ebay secondhand.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The lightest tripod that I use or would even consider using is the Manfrotto 190.

It only qualifies as my packing tripod because at least I can hang the pack on it to give it a bit more weight.

In Iceland I was having trouble keeping my camera steady in the wind even on my old 055. The 190 would have landed somewhere in Greenland I reckon.

Jan 21, 2014
Wales
I have a Manfrotto 190 and find it a good bit of kit. It's stable and not overly heavy. I've walked roughly 10-15 miles over hilly terrain with it and I don't find it to bad all things considered. I bought a 3 way head for mine and the whole set up set me back roughly £160. The Manfrotto 190 was on sale in Jessops not so long back so it maybe worth keeping an eye for them in other shops.

I should add that I've carried mine on the back of a Flipside 400AW bag as opposed to something that's built a bit heftier.

James

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
Thanks for the information. There are a couple of options that I will investigate further and may have to up the budget.

Any info/suggestions/advice on carrying or strapping to a rucksack would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

markmullen

Oct 4, 2012
North Yorkshire
I use a few different tripods, a Gitzo explorer with Manfrotto 405 geared head for jobs near the car, a Gitzo Mountaineer with Manfrotto 410 geared head for shorter distance jobs and finally for long distance travelling a Redged 525 which fold up tiny and only weighs 1.25kg, ideal for hiking.

I've used them all with cameras up to large format so weight isn't an issue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE