Which to take- Down or Primaloft? (S. America)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Hello All,

Well as some of you may know I am planning a long trip in south America this summer (Argentina, Bolivia, Peru etc). I'm packing light and have pretty much decided on all of the kit which I want to take! BUT...I had orginally planned on taking my Rab Photon Primaloft jacket, which packs up nicely and I trust it.

However I (foolishly) decided to look at other insulated jackets on the Cotswold website and came across the Rab Alpine microlight down jacket- this got me wondering, which should I take?
As I see it:
Down- warmer, packs away smaller, much lighter. Cons- can't get it wet!

Primaloft- good when wet, used to it etc. Cons- heavier, less warm, bulkier.

So what do you think? should I invest in a nice new jacket (which I like the look of for day to day wear too :D ) or should I just take my current jacket which I don't have to worry about getting wet etc?

I'am seriously considering a new rab!

The temps which I will face can vary a lot (down to -8c) on a night time and up to +16c on a daytime- I'm going to be there in August, so has anyone been and if so what would you suggest?
Thanks!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The down might not necessarily be warmer than the Primaloft, I think the Photon has 60g in the torso and 100g in the arms, or it might be the other way round :) Not sure of the specs on the Alpine though.

For me it would come down to bulk and weight, if the Primaloft offers a similar rating and packs down nearly as well as the down I'd probably take it for a longer trip. I think there's an Alpine which is waterproof too which might be a good solution. What kind of weather can you expect while you're there, what are the averages?

Trekkit have some great prices on Rab kit in their sale at the moment, just sayin' :)

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I've been looking at new down jackets, and from the reviews, the Rab Alpine Microlight is really just an expensive jumper- not a whole heap of warmth really... That put me off, and I LOVE Rab gear!

KP

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been looking at new down jackets, and from the reviews, the Rab Alpine Microlight is really just an expensive jumper- not a whole heap of warmth really... That put me off, and I LOVE Rab gear!

KP

I've got an OR Transcendent down hoody which I wear quite a bit, but for the TGO I bought a Montane Fireball which is just as warm but a safer option for Scotland in May :) It turned out to be a good decision during the first week.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)

KP
I have been looking at the reviews too. I think if you don't expect it to be like a heavy down fill (800+) then it shouldnt be too bad of a jacket. Basically it seems like an advanced, closer fitting belay jacket? Being windproof certainly gives it the edge over a similar fleece jacket.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks Shewie! The temps can vary a lot Argentina can be anywhere from 2-12c and certain areas of Peru can be around 16-20+c I think Bolivia will be where it would be most useful with temps down to -10c common during the night. Although most of the areas are dry, there is a chance of rain, which is the only off putting factor with down jackets, even though im taking a waterproof shell.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Frankly I'd take whatever I already had and was comfortable with. Istead of spending money now (at home) save it and look around when you get to South America. You'll likely find something there that you'd rather have more than anything you could bring with you.

rg598

Native
In that temperature range I would go with the synthetic. I find that the weight savings are not that large with down for light to moderate clothing. It really pays off with very thick jackets, but the advantages are less clear with jackets that are not that thick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE