Which Tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

huuggee

Jun 20, 2009
berks
Quick question to garner some advice.

Which is a better tarp to get, a Fox Basha, or a WebTex.

I know they are different sizes and i'm leaning towards the Fox, as it is bigger. But I am wondering about fixing points and which one is more versatile?

gratefully accept any opinions

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I would have recommended a DD Hammocks tarp, 3x3m for 30 quid but I see they're currently out of stock. The other ones are rectangular which I am personally not keen on for a small tarp but that's just my opinion. Other tarps to think about are decathlon tarps at the budget end of the market and tatonka and the upper end but out of the two you've selected, get the bigger one, 3x2 is pretty much a minimum and probably not much difference in build quality but I've not had any experience of these tarps.

Hope this helps,

Alan

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
You could also consider USMCPro as a supplier. 3 x 3m in dpm again for about £30.

Having said that, I find myself reaching for DD most of the time these days, particularly if carrying it on my back! Same size as the USMCPro, but about a third of the wieght.

TBH I'm not a big fan of Webtax gear. It always seems "cheap" if you know what I mean...

Simon

huuggee

Jun 20, 2009
berks
I like the look of the DD better too, as there are more ridgeline points.

Shame they are out of stock everywhere :/

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
yup, bit of a bummer, the other option at that size and price is the tatonka simple tarp 2 at 2.85x3m about 25 quid? This is bottom of the range tatonka but I don't imagine it'll be rubbish. I'd wait for a DD but depends if you're in a rush or not.

Cheers,

Alan

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
I own both a Fox and a DD 3m x 3m and to be honest I think they're both good. I've used the Fox on more occasions and had no problems - decent build quality, plenty of attachment points, good coverage and a light weight. However, the DD is bigger, square and can also be rigged on the diagonal - good if you're a hammock user. Are you intending to use it to cover you on the ground, in a hammock or both? If the last option, I'd probably go for the DD.

huuggee

Jun 20, 2009
berks
Cheers guys. I've gone with the Fox, which I hope will give me enough options.
@Chainsaw, I had a quick look at the cheap tatonka, but they start at twice the weight of either the Fox or DD, so I dismissed them. Good suggestion though.
@javi, I should be spending most of my time on the ground as I haven't started to pursue the hammock life yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE