Which survival kit item has saved most lives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I always wonder if an item actually saved someone or if they might have prevailed without it anyway. As well as fragility, humans can sometimes be extremely resilient and I'm sure that when reports come in saying "He would have been dead had he not called for help." I always wonder if that's really true.

I also believe that surviving is like looking for something, of course you stop looking once you have found that thing, and so people often stop thinking about ways to survive once they find the first successful thing.

I can't believe I typed that sober.

Regardless, item-wise...

Probably a map.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I don't think you can put it down to a single item, behind all items is knowledge (or lack of) common sense, think ability, ie the ability to think straight and improvise, and above all, your state of mind.

nonsense, rumour has it that his weapon is actually smaller than average, and in moscow its a balmy -9¤c in the day. I'd like to see him go there with a loincloth, no elephant friends to help him out, no rope swings, and he's never tried wressling a polar bear. N.b. the animals he calls on for clothing and eating, must, be, dumb !

Point being environment.

-9 would not be a problem, just a add a few of his spare loin cloths to give more coverage (using the sunday best loin cloth as a hat as it woudl be less smelly due to few days use. Polar bears - he is Tarzan and can tackle any animal in a dramatic wrestle in any given environment, if he can beat a crocodile in the water he can take the biggest land preadator on land. Lets not forget that if he called, any elephants or monkeys in nearby zoos and circusses would be there to help but in an urban setting domestic animals would answer the call. A

And of course he would only eat the dumb animals as the clever ones would be there to help....

Should he be in this thread thoug? Or perhaps better in the thread on survival experts? He does not teach his skills - he only uses them....

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Rather than a specific item, I should imagine it would be those items grouped under the heading of "Signalling devices", certainly for us in the UK.

Dave

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
Appropriate clothing for me. If you have good enough clothing you can generally survive at least a few days with nothing else, and by that time you will usually be rescued. Find yourself on a glacier with night coming in and even the best comms equipment won't stop you from dying before hypothermia claims you.

But that's just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

Having given it a bit more thought, the kit that even surpasses Tarzan for saving lives is Money:
It provides you with food, clothing and shelter on a daily basis
It provides medicen (taxes or direct purchase of drugs,dressings,etc)
It buys your survival equipment (knife, GPS, life jacket, helicopter, etc)
Without it you would die - and to pre-empt all the live off the land or homeless people survive comments; you cannot live off the land in Britain or most parts of the world without interacting with others and buying stuff from them (even if you trade items, somewhere along the line someone will have paid for it so money is involved). Homeless people get by on the goodwill of others who either give them money or clothes/food that they or someone else has bought.

Shame it is like this but it is the relaity of the world, too many people and not enough space.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
What do you mean? Elaborate on the multiple environments? Well:

-Originally he grew up in the Australian bush
-Next he did well in New York City
-Next movie was the West Coast and the laid back Californians

nonsense, having viewed the first Mick Crocodile Dundee Documentaries, when taken out of his natural habitat, he turns very quickly from rugged crocodile wrestler, to cheesy 80's kitch, pertaking in purile jokes, slapstik comedy, inane mushy romantisism, and mutually egotistical interactions with others. All topped off with mutual self gratification of 80's New York, and forgoing and ignoring the good people in Australia and being trecherous to his roots.

What have you to say to that,? sir !

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm sorry Pedro but the man should be hung from the yard arm for the third movie if nothing else. I think its truly the most awful movie that I've never managed to watch all the way through. No redeeming features whatsoever. I'd feed him to the "Donk" for it.;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
nonsense, having viewed the first Mick Crocodile Dundee Documentaries, when taken out of his natural habitat, he turns very quickly from rugged crocodile wrestler, to cheesy 80's kitch, pertaking in purile jokes, slapstik comedy, inane mushy romantisism, and mutually egotistical interactions with others. All topped off with mutual self gratification of 80's New York, and forgoing and ignoring the good people in Australia and being trecherous to his roots.

What have you to say to that,? sir !

"Ignoring the good people of Australia and being treacherous to his roots"? Hmmm. I rather thought he was exporting the Australian ethos to a people sorely in need.

polymathproducts

Silver Trader
In the modern world, or at least to most people on these forums it is almost certainly the mobile phone, In terms of an item people regularly carry.

It is hard to quantify what equipment saves lives, some are direct (such as a defibrillator) others are indirect such as a flare to attract rescuers.

The most likely 'survival situation' for most is not one where you need to make a fire and hunt around for food and water, it is illness or injury that requires speedy help or rescue such as a car crash or heart attack.
(I define a survival situation as any situation where you must act quickly and efficiently, to do the right thing, to stay alive)

The development and ubiquitous use of mobile phones has massively increased the speed and ease with which help could be contacted, speed that is essential in these situations.

Think about being in these example situations before mobile phones existed: Breaking a leg in a cold, remote location, your mate having a heart attack whilst fishing, being in a car accident.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
In the modern world, or at least to most people on these forums it is almost certainly the mobile phone, In terms of an item people regularly carry.

It is hard to quantify what equipment saves lives, some are direct (such as a defibrillator) others are indirect such as a flare to attract rescuers.

The most likely 'survival situation' for most is not one where you need to make a fire and hunt around for food and water, it is illness or injury that requires speedy help or rescue such as a car crash or heart attack.
(I define a survival situation as any situation where you must act quickly and efficiently, to do the right thing, to stay alive)

The development and ubiquitous use of mobile phones has massively increased the speed and ease with which help could be contacted, speed that is essential in these situations.

Think about being in these example situations before mobile phones existed: Breaking a leg in a cold, remote location, your mate having a heart attack whilst fishing, being in a car accident.

A good post. Mobile phones have saved many lives and as the infrastructure continues to improve they will save thousands of more lives in the years to come. Things like the Spot Beacon are cheap enough now and satellite phones are dropping in price; all these gizmo's are nothing more than communication tools, same as your whistle/signalling mirror and even a map and compass (a map and compass helps you move to a set point and perhaps communicate with others). Use/carry all that you can...that £10 Nokia phone from Tesco could well stop your wife being a widow and your children fatherless so love them or hate them (the phones that is) its daft not to carry a phone if only when your out camping.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE