Which stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Only two problems with the 123 , 8 and 96 - they use petrol, which you say you want to get away from, and they're relatively small. (I also find the 123 a bit wobbly, being narrow and tall) Combine the 123 with a purpose-designed cookset however, and it's much better! Now all I have to do is remember the name of the cooksets - I'm sure Rik will remind me!

Ah thanks for that, didn't know they were petrol stoves, was under the impression they ran on other fuels.
For a big heavy duty stove I have my No12 up and running but not one to be carried far.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
There's no reason to discount gas for winter use, a remote feed gas stove with the can placed upside down will burn liquid gas down to lower temps than we ever get over here.

I'd stick with the fuel flexibilty of the Omnifuel and buy a Berniedawg silent burner cap for it if I didn't like the noise.

Burning a heavier fuel like paraffin in the Omni will be using the smallest of the jets and so isn't as loud or powerful as the thinner fractions.

Tried that one Pete but doesn't seem to play ball for me and when its upside down its sitting on the control valve.
C51CB04A-42B0-4F70-9201-3EE242C4CCDA-6867-000007B2D8F1252E_zpscdbdde0d.jpg

i am looking at the silent burner caps but I need to justify the cost of them.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Only two problems with the 123 , 8 and 96 - they use petrol, which you say you want to get away from, and they're relatively small. (I also find the 123 a bit wobbly, being narrow and tall) Combine the 123 with a purpose-designed cookset however, and it's much better! Now all I have to do is remember the name of the cooksets - I'm sure Rik will remind me!

Ah - just come to me - Sigg tourist!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Gotcha, having just one control under the upside down can wouldn't do for me either. My Omni's have the 2 control valves and so just leaving the can valve open is fine.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Slow compared to the rest jet engine type stoves. But 10 min for a brew is not a tragedy. I actually carry a small meth stove in my ti cup as a EDC brew kit.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Only two problems with the 123 , 8 and 96 - they use petrol,

Primus 96 runs on paraffin. I'd have thought the same would go for the Optimus version ??? . But yes, quite a small fuel capacity ~ Primus 97 has a bigger tank and might suit (if, that is, you can find one at a reasonable price)

I'm currently enjoying playing with a Meta 50 paired up with a burner from a Swedish Army Cook Set (takes a while to come up to bloom but then works great, fits like a glove and the Tatonka simmer ring is a fair approximation of a good fit ;) ). It's a bit bulky but quite lightweight ~ be aware that some come with a removable cup for solid fuel to sit in, the Swede cook set burner fits it quite nicely but falls through the hole if it's not there ;) .

The big question is do you want to boil water as quickly as possible, do you want to simmer, or a bit of both? (brews and / or boil in the bag v cooking v compromise)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Apologies - of course the 96 runs on paraffin!
I'm very fond of the Meta-50 set-up myself. It seems more efficient than the corresponding Trangia models, and I love the ability to run two pans at the same time.

The liquid-fue burners like the omnifuel/Nova ranges come into their own when snow-melting, although a Trangia set will do it, albeit a lot more slowly (and uses a bucket-load of meths to get the same volume of water (meths being half as thermally efficient as petrol or paraffin.) They also don't need refuelling so often, and are good for longer-cooking items like stews, or baking. Also much more controllable heat - I've always found the simmer-ring on Trangias problematic re adjustment.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Sigg Tourist set, windshield, two pots and fry pan powered by a 123

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Apologies - of course the 96 runs on paraffin!

Phew! I thought, for a moment, that I'd need to be really careful when buying spare seals etc :yikes:

I'm very fond of the Meta-50 set-up myself. It seems more efficient than the corresponding Trangia models, and I love the ability to run two pans at the same time.

And the number of makers pots and pans which also _sort of_ fit if you put the pot support ring straight onto the wind shield / pan support :D . Even my British Army No.2 / No.12 mess tin sits nicely on the pot supports ~ at some point I'll try baking / roasting in this configuration* :D

* General Note: This (steel) British Army No.2 / No.12 mess tin is fantastic for baking / roasting and I've already done so with these pans on a proper trangia burner in a Honey Stove :D . You have to fiddle a bit to control the temperature but then it's good to go :D :approve: . Would also be good for a stew :D :approve: :approve: :approve:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Sigg Tourist set, windshield, two pots and fry pan powered by a 123

Yup - that's the one. I quite like playing with mine!

I also have a smaller version (an Optimus/Primus? one, still using the 123 burner) that is in the same configuration. Optimus 88, I think.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sigg did sets for the Bluet stove and Small Coleman stoves, never did get round to acquiring either; won't now as I no longer collect stoves and have been shedding the collection for over a year now. That said I've received a Petromax HK500 off sandbender (many thanks Andrew). All my camping needs now for family cooking can be pretty much done with a brace of Trangia 25's, a 210 for brews and a good lantern; I've just lost interest these days :(

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nope, one left and its another user.

For those hunting stoves on ebay, look to Germany, you'll come up with good some stuff from time to time and over the years I've never had a problem with German sellers (who all seem to at least understand English).

Petrol stoves search for Benzin Kocher

Paraffin/kerosene stoves search for petroleum kocher

Meths/alcohol stoves search for spiritus kocher

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE