Which Smart Phone

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
In no way bushy .... :rolleyes:

But im looking at a new contract for a mobile, currently have an Iphone4, my missus has the iphone 4s, and since there isnt much of a difference between the two and the iphone 5 doesnt look to be much of an improvement im considering other options.

Mainly the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the HTC 1X, heard good and bad things about them both.

S3 not great reception and freezing occassionally.
HTC poor battery life (needs charging everyday) but i charge my iphone everynight so nothing different there...

My only niggle is i've heard that 4g is going to be released soon, and the iphone 5 is going to be able to use the 4g connection... althought not straight away, so since im going into a 24 month contract is it worth trying to get the phone that will be 4g compatable?

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
4G will only be available with everything everywhere (T-Mobile/orange) it is limited to only a few city centres. Maybe next year the 4g will start rolling out following the bandwidth auctions. However, iPhone 5 will only work with everything everywhere's frequency.
tbh 3g or HSPDA+ isn't fully in place yet, so I wouldn't expect proper 4g in the next 3 years, by that time there'll be 802.22 wifi or better about.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
4G will only be available with everything everywhere (T-Mobile/orange) it is limited to only a few city centres. Maybe next year the 4g will start rolling out following the bandwidth auctions. However, iPhone 5 will only work with everything everywhere's frequency.
tbh 3g or HSPDA+ isn't fully in place yet, so I wouldn't expect proper 4g in the next 3 years, by that time there'll be 802.22 wifi or better about.

Ok thanks, seems like the 4G isnt really a deal breaker then... Although i've just heard that the other phones will be 4g compatable, so its a moot point now.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
My daughter has the Galaxy S3 and I use the iphone. I'm up for renewal this coming week and will be getting the iphone5. Looking at Evilbay though, I may flog it and get £6-700 (64 gig).
I want and NEED the 4g, but for the moment it's very limited on Orange/T-M in a few cities. Next summer should see other networks rolling it out but again, they'll major on cities first which doesn't help me!

I think I'll keep my iphone 4 for the time being (selling the ip5) and see what next year brings.

I won't consider any other Android phone now as we have 3 ipods, ipad and iphone in the house. We only have to buy music/apps once for all of them.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
I won't consider any other Android phone now as we have 3 ipods, ipad and iphone in the house. We only have to buy music/apps once for all of them.

If you use android, you can download the Google play music app (i use it) install it on your computer, it'll then upload your entire iTunes library into the cloud. You can then delete the music on your PC. The cloud music can then be played from your Android phone, tablet, PC, car or whatever.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I gave that a go but i organise my music by folders not tags, which it doesnt like really
32gb sd card on s3 fits all my music, and s3 native music app is nice and supports folders

google play music is nice tho and will be perfect for a lot of people

If you use android, you can download the Google play music app (i use it) install it on your computer, it'll then upload your entire iTunes library into the cloud. You can then delete the music on your PC. The cloud music can then be played from your Android phone, tablet, PC, car or whatever.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Great until the cloud crashes, never delete from your hard drive(s) the internet is very very fragile and a big crash will happen sooner or later.

I've an S2, daughter and son now have S3's (lad also has an HTC HD7). The S2 and S3 are cracking kit, very fast but I'm moving on to Windows 8 phone when the new range are launched...I'm happy with Android but just fancy a change (been using W8 for a while now on one machine, love it). Why not hang on a few weeks and see what phones W8 bring.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Great until the cloud crashes, never delete from your hard drive(s) the internet is very very fragile and a big crash will happen sooner or later.

I've an S2, daughter and son now have S3's (lad also has an HTC HD7). The S2 and S3 are cracking kit, very fast but I'm moving on to Windows 8 phone when the new range are launched...I'm happy with Android but just fancy a change (been using W8 for a while now on one machine, love it). Why not hang on a few weeks and see what phones W8 bring.

What phones are being release with W8? the HTC have a new model coming out so i dont mind waiting if the new hardware is worth it.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
In no way bushy .... :rolleyes:

But im looking at a new contract for a mobile, currently have an Iphone4, my missus has the iphone 4s, and since there isnt much of a difference between the two and the iphone 5 doesnt look to be much of an improvement im considering other options.

Mainly the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the HTC 1X, heard good and bad things about them both.

S3 not great reception and freezing occassionally.
HTC poor battery life (needs charging everyday) but i charge my iphone everynight so nothing different there...

My only niggle is i've heard that 4g is going to be released soon, and the iphone 5 is going to be able to use the 4g connection... althought not straight away, so since im going into a 24 month contract is it worth trying to get the phone that will be 4g compatable?

Stumbled across this about 4G:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/uk-4g-rollout-everything-you-need-to-know

HTH

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
All my stuff is in the cloud. Music, pictures, docs and email. If the tinternet does go down, I'm pretty much screwed. My eggs are all in the same basket. :D

Is for wp8, Nokia will be doing something, next year Microsoft will be doing their own.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Windows Phone is awful, just awful.

I am eyeing the Note 2 but I need to get a really tough case for it, shame they don't do that Griffon survivor case for the Galaxy S2 I'd have one like a shot.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To my knowledge the 'net has never crashed or been down for maintenance!

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/10/tech/web/internet-down-eagleman/index.html

One cable cut here http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/more.php?news_id=132198&date=2012-06-08

there's a start for you to think on. Always keep back ups at home. 2TB drives are again <£60, thats a lot of music files stored for the cost of a not top of the line bush shirt. Back up, back up the back up then back up again.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Ha Ha. You cannot shut down the world's internet.

A solar flare enveloping all of the planet would do it...and us too so I wouldn't be worried about my data.

By the way; magnetic hard drives degrade over time as do SSDs, DVDs etc. "What if" something happened to your back ups and you didn't have back ups. Too many what ifs for me bud, I'll just get on with life.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
i have an S3 and love it. the thing i like most is signal quality. My Iphone 4 dropped calls all the time but ive not lost one on my S3. It also fits really nicely in my alpkit padded cell 2 for protection when im out in the woods

greensurfingbear

Recently got a iPhone 4s 16gb which I am more than happy with. Given the nature of my work I wanted a decent waterproof shock proof case and after recommendations from colleagues I got a lifeproof case.

Does everything I need it too....and makes calls too :)

Sorry I know you asked about other models but just thought I'd offer my insight. Did have a Htc desire and the iPhone is way better

Orric

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ha Ha. You cannot shut down the world's internet.

A solar flare enveloping all of the planet would do it...and us too so I wouldn't be worried about my data.

By the way; magnetic hard drives degrade over time as do SSDs, DVDs etc. "What if" something happened to your back ups and you didn't have back ups. Too many what ifs for me bud, I'll just get on with life.

Well, they could, but lets say enough can be shut down to deprive you of service for days or more IIRC the UK relies a lot on three cables for the internet. The idea of backing up is to take into account redundancy of storage devices bud, my backups are not on just one machine, plus DVD , USB sticks, external drives.

Its just common sense to have available what you want as opposed to relying on any cloud service.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
I think 4g is still a way off and it's looking like orange mite have the deal .I compared the 5 with the 3s and went with the 3s as its just more of a work horse , bigger screen, removable sd & battery , mini usb, better camera video , ect

All The Best , Stewart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE