Which sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'm aiming to get out for a few nights this summer&i think a new sleeping bag may be in order.Usually weight wouldn't be a factor,but as i'll be using shanks's pony, the lighter the better.I've been using a cheap 2 season bag but sometimes its a bit cold.Should i get a 3 season(?) bag, an ex army one or just get a liner as some one has suggested?
Would the weight of a army surplus bag make a lot of difference?
Your opinions would be appreciated

Cheers
Tel.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
A liner will help a bit.

I always have a hot water bottle unless it's a very warm night.
Usually my army canteen,if your feet,head and middlings are warm,you'll get to the land of nod easily.

Put it at your feet,groin and small of the back and wear a woolly or fleece cap,sorted.

A 3 season bag is good as if too warm,then just unzipped and let the air in.

Using a bivi bag will help a wee bit too.

A liner will help a bit.

I always have a hot water bottle unless it's a very warm night.
Usually my army canteen,if your feet,head and middlings are warm,you'll get to the land of nod easily.

Put it at your feet,groin and small of the back and wear a woolly or fleece cap,sorted.

A 3 season bag is good as if too warm,then just unzipped and let the air in.

Using a bivi bag will help a wee bit too.

Thanks a lot

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
You can always get away with a lower rated season bag by taking a decent warm (down is good) jacket and if the night is cold wear it to bed.

Also thick socks! i love having warm feet to bed. And barn owl is right on the money with a hat of some sort.

Regards
Max

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
The army bags are great mate , if too warm during the night you can always open them up and let a bit of air ,, the only thing they are heavy and bilky too pack for a long walk in ...

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Hi
A 3 season bag in summer when hiking with a load will be too much unnecessary weight I think

Sleeping bag technology has moved on leaps and bounds recently and is worth researching

I got a Nanok cool http://www.nanok.no/engelsk/page28/page28.html from Lakeland Bushcraft which was a genuine bargain(Thanks Lurch)
That bag does me from early May till September in UK I use a lightweight bivvy bag with it and can add a liner if needed
The main thing is it weighs 880g!!! I have used it in winter on Exmoor with a fleece liner and been fine as well
Take a look at some of the new bags from Vango, Highlander and Berghaus
In particular one of the Highlander synthetics claims a warmth to weight ratio very close to Down
Army issue bags are not really good for hiking but The Jungle bag is probably best for Summer
Its worth researching what you are buying I think there are some bargains to be had when you look at top of the range stuff and what you are actually getting for your money Synthetics are catching up with Down and they have some real advantages
Also get a good quality sleeping mat In this area Dutch army surplus excel but Multimats are good as well again research
Of course being a gear freakI would love a RAB down bag but in all honesty can i justify spending that on a bag for UK use (well i can to myself ;but not to SWMBO)

My apologies to Richard if this has all been discussed before but I think some of us who are a bit more experienced
and have tried different gear can try and help out other members without being too terse

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I have been using the cumulus quantum 200 bag for the last two years for long walks and camps it is rated to 0 but i have used it down to -8 with no problems ,it weighs in at 495g .
i have only one quibble the zip catches on the baffle some times but its no real problem

Jason

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
I know i say this on every sleeping bag thread but SNUGPAK SLEEPER EXTREME! £35 Ive used it to just under freezing with a bivvy and i was snug as a bug.. Thats coming from a cold sleeper who weighs 10.5 stone!

I will stop now

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
I have been using the cumulus quantum 200 bag for the last two years for long walks and camps it is rated to 0 but i have used it down to -8 with no problems ,it weighs in at 495g .
i have only one quibble the zip catches on the baffle some times but its no real problem

Jason

thats amazing...

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex

Jason

Can you post a link to somewhere that you might be able to get one?

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE