Which Saw?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mosnan

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2008
Leeds
Hello,

i'm just in the process of ordering some new kit for the season and whilst ordering some japanese waterstones from axminster.co.uk (cheapest online unless anyone can tell me different?) I noticed that if you spent over £50 it was free postage.

I was going to purchase a Bahco laplander Saw on ebay for bushcrafting and noticed they sold this folding saw:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Gyokucho-Japanese-Folding-Razorsaw-364252.htm

Does anyone use one of these or compared it to the laplander?
The advantges would seem that it locks but not sure about the finer teeth as i cant quite see on the picture.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Nicolas

LAPLANDER: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=230253003970&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
At the midlands moot last weekend Wayland and myself had a race through a branch of around 4-5 inches with a laplander and a pocket boy, we raced twice so we both used both saws and the silky was the winner hands down, much less effort and quicker. I think he bought the silky for a bit over 20 quid, not sure where from though, it would be an ideal contender for a group buy!

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Not used the axminster one. I use a wilkinson sword one from B&Q. It cuts on bothe strokes and leaves a neat cut. At £9.99 im not complaining. Ive used it daily and it still does a good job.
Stu

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I was in B&Q the other day, and they have two foot Bahco bow saw blades (that say they're specifically for green wood) for £3.95, that would coil up nicely in a billy can a la Ray Mears. With a cheap folding bow saw and this blade, you may well outdo any of the others. The only saw I've actually used is the laplander, which has done well by me.

leon-1

There area number of saws which have better performance than the Bacho.

Opinel and Silky cut faster, I would recommend an Opinel to anyone as I have a couple of them (I also have a laplander that never gets used and as such has been given to a mate to use), I have used silky saws, but I have never owned one, but as the others have said they are the choice of arborists and they know their stuff.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Having watched Scrumpy and Wayland put the Laplander and the Silky to the test, I'm deffo aiming at a Silky.

Anyone know the difference between 8 teeth/inch and 10 teeth/inch, and which would be more suited to bushcrafty activities?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Ah, but which blade was used in the Bahco? Remember there are 3 different blade types available - the greenwood blade, the softwood blade, and the hardwood blade. Most people (myself included) use the greenwood blade, which isn't really appropriate for firewood, especially hardwoods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE