which pocket saw plz

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi
Ive been looking at renewing my pocket saw, I have a well used bahco laplander atm price about £16.50 for a new one, have been looking at two others, which include the Japanese folding pocket saw http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Japanese-...612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4843b0118c at £22.00 and then there is the silky pocket boy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silky-Fox...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4189027dcc at £32.00.
The only grip i have with the bahco is the length of the blade is a tad to long for me as sometimes if i am not cearful the blade bends on me whilst using it. does any one have experience with the others they`d like to pass on the good and bad points?
Thanks
Bill

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
As a tree surgeon, I can't bleat about all things great about Silky! Pricey but understandable when using. Spare blades and coarseness should also be available which is a bonus. Price, depending on model, is the 'bad' point and thinness of blade which may take getting use to. Plus point, they last well, cut like a lightsaber and with practice, can be re-sharpened a few times before the bin.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a Laplander and a pocket boy. The silky is my go to folding saw. I like it so much that I have just dropped £50 on Silky Gomtaro for hedging. The Laplander is a very competent saw, but the Silky rocks for me.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
is the 'bad' point and thinness of blade which may take getting use to,

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

maybe it is, ive had it about 8 year now i think, and the grip has gone smoth, also have sharpened it a couple of times with a shaped diamond file, so think its time to invest again.
thanks for replies, any more thoughts?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I have a Laplander and a pocket boy. The silky is my go to folding saw. I like it so much that I have just dropped £50 on Silky Gomtaro for hedging. The Laplander is a very competent saw, but the Silky rocks for me.

Yeah I've got both too and the silky is the one in my rucksack, and will be for a long time I think :).

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Yup, the Laplander is very competent and I love it. But.....the Gomtaro is unbelievably good..fits nicely in the rucksack and punches way above its weight in terms of the size of branch or tree which can be taken down with it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE