Darlac Pocket Folding Saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Following a recent [thread=126218]thread[/thread] about small lightweight pocket saws, the Darlac DP818 folding pocket saw came out at the top of options to investigate. I bought myself one off of Ebay, but it's also available from the likes of Amazon. At a fraction over 8 quid including delivery, it seemed worth a punt to see if it's any good.

A few days after ordering, the saw arrived in the post. As it arrived, it's in a presentation retail package, the back of which has a small amount of info about the design of the teeth. Nothing fancy. The front of the package clearly declares that the saw is for upto 50mm wood.
packagefront01_sm.jpg

The back also gives details about the guarantee and how to maintain the saw.
packageback01_sm.jpg

My first reaction to taking the saw out the package is that it's light. 38.2g according to my scales. The second reaction is that it's a bit plasticy. Aside from blade I can't find any other metal components.
foldedsize01_sm.jpg

The saw locks in the unfolded position, but not in the folded position. Unfolded you get a handle of 5", total blade length of a fraction under 3¾", of which 88mm is toothed.

unfoldedlength01_sm.jpg

bladelength01_sm.jpg

The saw sits quite nicely in the hand, as well as in the pocket, the lack of weight is rather nice.
sawinhand01_sm.jpg

Of course this isn't a tool you buy just to keep in your pocket, it's an tool to use. So I took the saw out onto a local cycle path to tidy up some of the recent storm damage.

First up, a bit of dried wood that needed trimming back, it's about 2.5" across, so over the 50mm that the packaging suggests is max size for this saw. The saw went through it with relative ease, popping out a couple of times when I drew the saw back too far. It's a pull saw, so only cuts on the pull stroke, but it cut through the 2.5" within a couple of minutes without much effort. The handle is ok, not the best on the planet, but not the worst.
bigcut01_sm.jpg

bigcut02_sm.jpg

I didn't really buy the saw for cutting such large pieces, I got it mostly for cutting things in the region of a thumb or slightly bigger. On these sizes, the saw goes through with ease, I used it to tidy up a few broken branches along the cycle path. No problems.
mediumcut01_sm.jpg

thumbcut01_sm.jpg

But, the area this saw excels is green wood. On approximately thumb size green wood, this saw goes through with very little resistance, working very well.
greencut01_sm.jpg

In all the cuts, it left a nice clean face behind. Nothing jagged on the dead wood, and very little on the green wood.

The saw is no Laplander or Silky. But for 8 quid and 38g, as a saw you can leave in your handbag for occasional use, it's ideal, and certainly easier to use than the smaller saw on my leatherman. Time will tell how durable it turns out to be, but right now, I don't think I've wasted my money.

Julia

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks for the review. I use my SAK saw for similar jobs, but it struggles with thick wood.

Do you by any chance have any experience with an Opinel saw?

All the best.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
For what it's worth: I've had two Opinel saws, and both were a pain to use and both kinked badly having caught in the cut. I'm very easy on tools, it wasn't operator error - the set of the teeth, p'raps?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I like that logic :)

How else do you think women are able to pull a house brick out of a handbag that looks from the outside to be barely big enough to hold a credit card...

Thanks for the review. I use my SAK saw for similar jobs, but it struggles with thick wood.

Do you by any chance have any experience with an Opinel saw?

All the best.

I don't. I looked at the opinel saw as a light weight smaller alternative to my laplander. But concluded it wasn't lighter, and wasn't smaller. It also wasn't cheaper. The 12 seems to go for about 24 quid, and the 18 for about 34 quid. I already have a laplander that I love, I just wanted something a bit smaller and lighter to compliment it, when I don't want to carry the full belt of tools.

I carry a svord peasant mini as my EDC knife, it lives in my pocket (tho currently has gone awol :(). I got it as I felt it was a stronger alternative to a SAK. I baton with my peasant mini quite a lot and wasn't so sure that a SAK farmer or similar would be durable enough to the abuse I want to put it through. Hence the peasant mini and this saw. Between them I can easily process most of my firewood needs when out on my own in the UK. My peasant mini and saw combination works out less than 20 quid. I can't really complain at that point.

For what it's worth: I've had two Opinel saws, and both were a pain to use and both kinked badly having caught in the cut. I'm very easy on tools, it wasn't operator error - the set of the teeth, p'raps?

Yeah, I've not seen any positive reviews for the Opinel saws. I had a look at a 12 in the flesh when I was in Rye recently, and was surprised how big and bulky it was. It just seemed not to have the polish as a product that the Bahco Laplander does.

Julia

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know about the Opinels, just heard of their existence.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
When I say handbag, I mean 30L backpack... It's just if you call it a handbag, it ceases to obey the same laws of physics, and you can fit more in it...

Julia

It doesn't work for my handbag ....and yes I do have one. Actually I have three - one in Burgundy leather with tassels. I kid you not.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
i'v got the smaller opinel saw and as julia said its not really any smaller than a laplander

Gotta say though i'v not had any trouble using it. same as the laplander I tend to carry it for crafting tasks rather than firewood and it does a pretty good job but i'd never recommend one over a bahco, felco, or silky type folder

This lil one though seems more suited to bimble bag crafting tasks than any of the above in terms of size....for 8 quid I'll have to try one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE