Which one is best……..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I have always worn wool underdoodles and wool mid layer and relied on a windproof top layer for keeping it all in. I have never owned goretex waterproofs but I'd love to be sweat free.
Top of my list is wool.
Second is wool & polyester.
Third would be something like a Montagne top with its fleece innard. Not that I own one mind. I have a Gill micro-fleece gilet which is a great intermediate layer for inactive times like helming.
Fourth is synthetic as I have a pair of Musto synthetic long-johns & they're warm but after three days they're very smelly!
S

Reactions: Ray Smears

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Mine's a mixed bunch but I mainly do wool for the smelliness of synthetics on day 2.

Synthetics wick/dry quicker thoe. So, for big exertions in the warm for a day, I do go that way. Don't over specialize.

Also, what they say about cotton being no good is true. At best, it's clammy, gets clingy and restrictive and causes rashes if you are prone. At worst, it might well do for you.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wool will hold its loft, even when wet. It won't pack like the others. All my outdoor socks are wool. Wool felt insoles in my boots to be changed every day. Here the bigger issue is the wind. Very tightly woven shell over layers of synthetic.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's not just the material, but the weave as well.

Base layer - my preference is merino wool, it's warm and isn't as quick to get smelly, but, as mentioned above, it takes longer to dry when you wash it than man-made fibres.

Depending on the conditions I will often then wear a light, close knit, synthetic fleece.

For maximum warmth I'll wear a pure wool 'jumper' (think Shetland chunky) which has a loose weave that traps lots of air - but that must be covered by a windproof layer as the open weave lets in the wind . Failing that, a thicker, heavier, synthetic fleece with or without a hood.

I never use cotton in cold conditions; just on its own as a T in summer when I find it preferable to synthetic fibres.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have to admit that I find the synthetic fleeces very 'airless' and unnaturally warm somehow. For that reason, I will always take wool as a first choice and the wool/polyester mix as a distant second, no matter whether I am in the hills or woods.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
For maximum warmth I'll wear a pure wool 'jumper' (think Shetland chunky) which has a loose weave that traps lots of air - but that must be covered by a windproof layer as the open weave lets in the wind . Failing that, a thicker, heavier, synthetic fleece with or without a hood.
I was recently introduced (by a fine person on another channel) to the delights and wonders of the Guernsey sweater. Bought a 2nd hand one off the eBay for a tryout - a Navy Le Tricoteur. It is much better at blocking the wind that your ordinary sweater. It has closer worsted type weave. And is very visually appealing in its own way. Can't see me owning merely one of them in the future :) MAny many colours. Also stripes!!

Recommendation is to wash them annually with a bit of lanolin or almond oil to improve water shedding. I like these kinds of garments that are sort of fashion items really, but also really do a bang up job with the weather, durability etc.

Reactions: swyn and Ray Smears

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
In my opinion there is only 1 material you can spend days outside in without worrying about durabilty, the weather, cleaning, smelling, and that is wool. Everything else is not up to fire, smelling, ripping, different weather...

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I was recently introduced (by a fine person on another channel) to the delights and wonders of the Guernsey sweater. Bought a 2nd hand one off the eBay for a tryout - a Navy Le Tricoteur. It is much better at blocking the wind that your ordinary sweater. It has closer worsted type weave. And is very visually appealing in its own way. Can't see me owning merely one of them in the future :) MAny many colours. Also stripes!!

Recommendation is to wash them annually with a bit of lanolin or almond oil to improve water shedding. I like these kinds of garments that are sort of fashion items really, but also really do a bang up job with the weather, durability etc.

My best one (knitted by my lovely wife) still smells of lanolin after several washes - and, yes, it does shrug off water :)

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
None of these materials actually insulate heat very well. (Read the next sentence before exploding. :D)
The insulator is really the unmoving air there in between whatever. The material that ties the most for weight or volume is the best insulator. Of course other properties matter a lot because in the outdoors heat insulation is not the only one that matters. In windy conditions most heat is lost by convection so wind blocking properties might be #1, in heavy rain water shedding comes easily first as if water replaces the air in your garment insulation is mostly lost.

Wool with enough lanolin and a proper weave comes very high in my list if only one material is allowed, with various combinations I think it can be bettered and some other can achieve at least equal properties.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Synthetic for outdoor activities that involve movement, bad weather and a long time without cleaning.

It's lighter, more robust, drys quicker, insulates better, breathes better, even when wet. The biggest advantage is if I'm totally soaked, I can layer all my Synthetics up, climb into my Synthetic sleeping bag and be dry in about 2hrs.

Try doing that in natural fibres.....

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Synthetic for outdoor activities that involve movement, bad weather and a long time without cleaning.

It's lighter, more robust, drys quicker, insulates better, breathes better, even when wet. The biggest advantage is if I'm totally soaked, I can layer all my Synthetics up, climb into my Synthetic sleeping bag and be dry in about 2hrs.

Why would you be totally soaked?
If I was anticipating a totally soaked situation I would be wearing decent waterproofs (salopettes and all) or more extreme a dry suit for total immersion situations.
S

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Why would you be totally soaked?
If I was anticipating a totally soaked situation I would be wearing decent waterproofs (salopettes and all) or more extreme a dry suit for total immersion situations.
S
Slip and fall in a river, flip my canoe..... you never know!

For example, a few years ago I was crossing a river. It was about 2ft deep but fast flowing. I wasn't concentrating and I slipped on a slippery rock and went right under. Rucksack and all. I wasn't planning on doing that. I got myself out and threw on my puffy jacket, puffy trousers, softshell hat, gloves.... the warming effect was immediate. I walked myself dry in just over an hour.

Reactions: Ray Smears and swyn

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Ah I understand.

I have two changes with me in the Wayfarer and am seriously looking at a dry suit as I have no desire to be cold and wet.
One change is for five day smelly and one is in case of a capsize.
S

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ah I understand.

I have two changes with me in the Wayfarer and am seriously looking at a dry suit as I have no desire to be cold and wet.
One change is for five day smelly and one is in case of a capsize.
S

Each to their own but I find a dry suit so uncomfortable canoeing that it spoils that pleasure of being free and wild.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Each to their own but I find a dry suit so uncomfortable canoeing that it spoils that pleasure of being free and wild.
Interesting, thanks for this snippet.

I have never owned or worn a dry suit nor capsized for a very long time but I am having a re think on clothing and ability versus being cold and wet.
When I know I am going to get wet I will wear the appropriate overs depending on the temperature. I have a warm two piece for cold weather and a one piece (dinghy suit) for warmer times which I also wear in my Gumotex Solar canoe.
Researching dry suits very recently I was surprised at their modern assembly and specification with some manufacturers offering tailor made items! To me they all looked quite comfortable compared to what I remember thirty odd years ago.
I will not be looking in the tailor made bracket but perhaps having a dry suit for when you get caught out on a passage with deteriorating weather could be very useful.
Like being caught out on a hike and with the correct clothing/kit you are not so much at risk and can hunker down in relative safety.
S

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands

You are exaclty the opposite of me, but i'm never in a canoe :)
my experience with syntetics and durability is bad. I have woolen items that are over 10 years old and like new. Synthetics will degrade to useless on UV only. Sparks, pointy things, abression in my experience all better with wool.
Sleep in synthetics more than a day and you will smell like ...
Only thing synthetic i have is a non breathable rainjacket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE