Which oil to use on a Kuksa?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

archie3

May 9, 2007
LANCASHIRE
Over the years I have carved various Kuksa both for drinking and eating and as yet I havent found an oil finish that I am happy with. I have tried various types of Linseed oil, Danish oil and Tung oil all of which seem to leave an aftertaste which my wife always comments on. Also I have tried Mineral oil (Liquid Parrafin) which although it has no taste doesn't set and harden and ends up floating on the top of whatever hot drink is in the bowl.
Any one got any ideas?:)

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
if you salt cure them from new/carved and use regularly you really dont need to oil the inside. once when new to remove the salt but once you have had several hot Cofees and some strong alcohol there wont be much of it lef to speak of...

I just use a light veg oil rub on the outside

Hope that helps

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive used walnut oil on mine, warm drinks bring up a small bit of oil though. Im interested to here about salt curing.
Ive used cold pressed linseed oil on other culinary items and that has very little taste and cures dry after a few days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE