Which Leatherman?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

marcja

Hyia guys,

I lost my last leatherman a whils ago and my pa gave me his multi-tool in it's place. Now whilst I'm not the ungreatful type it's one of these ones where the pliers are fixed and everything else folds into the one handle (Gerber I think but could be wrong).

ANyway, I miss my leatherman so I'm going to buy a new one one the weekend but I'm torn between a Wave or a Charge (Ti or XTi)?

ANy opinions/reviews on either of the above would be much appreciated.

Marc

P.s. I'm drawn to the Wave (mainly because that was the one I lost) Though, I do like the look and additional functionality of the XTi.

Moine

Forager
There is something I HATE with my wave : I often pinch the skin from the inside of my hand with it. Whenever the pliers slip or whatever, the skin gets stuck. OUCH !!!

Maybe it's just me...

Anyone had that kind of problem with the wave too ?

Cheers,

David

leon-1

Moine said:
There is something I HATE with my wave : I often pinch the skin from the inside of my hand with it. Whenever the pliers slip or whatever, the skin gets stuck. OUCH !!!

Maybe it's just me...

Cheers,

David

Hi David, I used to get that with the original leatherman, but luckily I haven't had the problem with the wave and it gets used pretty much everyday.

Sorry Marc I cannot give advice on this as I have not used the Charge (either one) :( .

I can say though that I like the wave as I have been using one for at least 7 years. :)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Moine said:

Maybe it's just me...

Cheers,

David

Snap, my wave quite often pinches the skin at the base of my index finger when using the pliers and it realy hurts! Other than that, great.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I used to carry a wave but it got stolen :(

I have now switched to a Juice pro which is smaller and UK legal.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I was never a big fan of the Wave right from the first but I have to admit, it's been a real seller for LM. The only complaint I had was that it always seemed flimsier than the other LMs. The Pulse has always been my favorite. I have the Charge XTi but I keep it in my book pack. It's more of a tool box than anything, especially since I bought the extra set of bits for it. I'm thinking that if you had a Wave before and you liked it, why not get another?

M

marcja

Hoodoo said:
I'm thinking that if you had a Wave before and you liked it, why not get another?

' a change is as good as a rest' as the saying goes.

As you say the charge (with bitkit) is like a toolboox which is one of the reasons why I like it - you should have a tool for every occurrence. Plus, I prefer the sheath of the charge!

Don't get me wrong I had no qualms with my Wave at all it is an excellent tool (and cheaper :D ).

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'm out of date on the Leatherman (I have a Super Tool.....and as this is a family forum no double entendres, please :) ) but I wondered if there is a non locking model?

These people
http://backcountry-equipment.com/index.html
sell them at US prices - maybe cheaper than UK? I bought a Krill lamp from them and even with seven dollars shipping it was cheaper than the UK. They delivered quickly too. No connection except as a satisfied customer.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Doc said:
I'm out of date on the Leatherman (I have a Super Tool.....and as this is a family forum no double entendres, please :) ) but I wondered if there is a non locking model?
The Juice is a non locker - very nice just a little smaller than the wave.

Cheers

Mark

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Yeah, loads! If you don't plan on keeping it longer than a few weeks, the cheap knock-offs are just as good as the real thing. :)

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I can only comment on the wave

Never had a problem with the pliers but the phillips screwdriver has a habit of collapsing. That's why I got the bit kit

Use it most days and have done for years

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Try tying the leatherman to your trousers. That's what I did with my SAK, and I never lost it. I had a knife and keys tied to one side, a phone tied to the other and a lighter on a string 'round my neck. :D :cool:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The wave now has locking devices for the handle tools. I saw one in Celle a few months back, it cost a bit though. I got my wave from an american PX for cheap, and I use it every day, if only to clean muck out from my fingernails.

I must use it every day......

.............I MUST!!!!!

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
I recently bought a Charge Ti (the XTi doesn't have scissors) directly from the US and I am 100% satisfied. I only paid 44£ inc shipping, my deal of the year :) And no VAT either :D

Mind you, I haven't owned a multi-tool before. The only difference between the new Wave and the Charge Ti is that the Charge have titanium sides and better steel in the knifes.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
marcja said:
ANyway, I miss my leatherman so I'm going to buy a new one one the weekend but I'm torn between a Wave or a Charge (Ti or XTi)?

ANy opinions/reviews on either of the above would be much appreciated.

Why not save yourself a fortune and just go for the Supertool? I've always held it to be pretty bomber and it has all the right bits.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I have both the Charge Ti and the wave

I liked the old wave a great deal but I was given an Charge Ti and have changed over to that

I think the old wave was a more robust tool that the Ti and having used both there isnt a huge difference in my favour between them, the problem is that the wave has been substantually redesigned since the release of the Ti and i cant stand the new version of the wave.

so get a new Ti or an older version of the wave and you wont be disapointed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE