Which Leatherman?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hi from me no one Leatherman (I had original+wave+Ti) and my Vic Spirit over pass all of them
Lighter, thinner,stronger,better fix, with awl, longer screwdrivers, better lock system.
No onehand open blade no bother to me if I need a blade I carry my trusty knife.
I consider my multitool as my last resource blade.
enjoy

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
One point that ititates me about the leathermans I have seen (I might have missed seeing the one that does though) is that they don't take the universally avaliable cordless screwdriver bits with the hex end.

The cordless bits come in a trully huge selection and my cheapo bought from a motorbike shop multitool (that gets chucked into the bike toolkit) takes them.
I can buy the bits (in many different lengths also) from hardware shops, B&Q, Focus DIY, all over the place.
All they need is a fitting for the little hex ended screwdriver bits that has a magnet to hold the bit in position
Makes sense to me.
Don't see the point in the dodgy square things that you only seem able to buy in an outdoor shop :confused:

I would buy a leatherman if they sorted out that, otherwise I will use the one I bought from Hein Gericke :)

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
demographic said:
One point that ititates me about the leathermans I have seen (I might have missed seeing the one that does though) is that they don't take the universally avaliable cordless screwdriver bits with the hex end.

You can get an standard hex bit holder to the old & new Wave and the Charge Ti, but that is just another thing to loose I guess. The bits that comes with the Charge can be made of standard hex bits if you have access to a grinder, they are just flattened a bit.

M

marcja

Stuart said:
I have both the Charge Ti and the wave

so get a new Ti or an older version of the wave and you wont be disapointed.

Stuart, I thought I saw a Charge sheath on your belt when we were at MM a couple of weeks back and I did plan on PM'ing you and asking your opinion of it but ultimately took the decision to post a thread on the subject instead.

Anyway, I've taken onboard everyones advice & opinion and decided that the Charge Ti is the one for me this time.

Thank you all and I'll be sure to let you know how I get on with it (I've already ordered it).

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
tommywidenflycht said:
You can get an standard hex bit holder to the old & new Wave and the Charge Ti, but that is just another thing to loose I guess. The bits that comes with the Charge can be made of standard hex bits if you have access to a grinder, they are just flattened a bit.

The point I was making was that Leatherman should have the sense to make the bit holder an integral part of the knife instead of an add on.
Then you can't lose the bit holder.

That way there is a vast range of bits (screwdriver, allen, sockets, security, you name it) that are avaliable almost anywhere that sells cordless drivers and it seems a shame that they didn't think of it.

I am keeping my twelve quider under my bike seat untill they do ;)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
tommywidenflycht said:
I recently bought a Charge Ti (the XTi doesn't have scissors) directly from the US and I am 100% satisfied. I only paid 44£ inc shipping, my deal of the year :) And no VAT either :D

Mind you, I haven't owned a multi-tool before. The only difference between the new Wave and the Charge Ti is that the Charge have titanium sides and better steel in the knifes.

I have the XTi and would recomend the TI, the sissors would be very useful, but wanted the rescue blade so I could attempt to use it for everyday carry. It is a very nice piece of kit and I am very happy with it.

Hawthorn

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2005
London
I have a Leatherman Wave attached to my trouser belt loops with a caribiner and it never leaves my side, an excellent tool. Would recommend everyone owning one!! I've been in many a sticky situation which my Leatherman has got me out of!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I agree, but I do have a whacking great blood blister on my finger from using it this weekend. I wish they would solve this "pinching" problem, because it doesn't half hurt!

Does it have to be a Leatherman? I have a SOG POWERLOCK, bought from America (www.knifecenter.com), it is American made, it is far more useful and practical than any Leatherman. I own a Leatherman Wave, a Gerber (800 but I have owned a Legend too), a Kershaw multi-tool, as well as a few cheapies that get left in the car, and the SOG is far and away the best tool of the lot. I have handled many Leatherman tools and haven't seen one yet that compares with the SOG Powerlock.

It has tools that all lock, it is dismantlable for cleaning with common tools (unlike the Leatherman tools), you can attach 1/4 inch square drive sockets and tools straight to it, fit 1/4 inch hexagon screwdriver bits to it (with an adaptor that you can buy at any tool shop), it flips open single handed... Build quality is excellent, and the knife blade holds its edge too. Finally it has got compound leverage which means that the pliers have a very tight grip (without the handles making your hands ache), means that you can cut thicker wires than other tools will, and the handles don't pinch your hands so much either. You can buy individual tools direct from SOG if you should abuse or break any (or want to carry a spare knifeblade or file for instance) , although it has a lifetime guarantee for workmanship and quality. The scissors on the SOG are a superb bit of engineering, they are almost as big as the Wave's scissors but I would say a bit more robust. There's a really neat cam arrangement that eases the tension on the spring as you put the scissors back into the handle. I never liked the way that on Swiss Army Knives the spring is constantly under tension.

The folding action of the handles means that the screwdriver tools can be deployed in a variety of ways which means that if you need to apply more torque, you can keep the handles in an 'L' shape for more grip, or if working in a narrow or confined space you don't need to keep the handles together if it helps.

Like I say, I own various multi-tools and the SOG is the one which I take pretty much everywhere, the Gerber gets used for dirty jobs and taken places where losing it is a possibility, the Wave and the Kershaw stay inside the house. The SOG is far and away the most practical, most useable and most useful multi-tool of all the tools I have ever owned. The only thing it lacks is an easily-replaced saw-blade like the gerber tools have, but apart from that it is difficult to fault.

If you are buying a multi-tool you should not automatically think 'Leatherman' and exclude the others... I would choose my SOG Powerlock over any of the other tools that I have ever seen.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I like the look of that Rob, are the screwdriver ends actually hardened?
TBH i think the LMs are overated, one of the things i didnt like about my original supertool was the tool ends were too soft and i mangaed to twist most of them on old bangers i drive.that one got nicked so i bought the supertool 200 which isnt much better and just hate that release mechanism.
i noticed with the gerbers they can be quite rattly compared to the LM, how does the SOG compare?

The screwdrivers are fairly hard, but I don't think that they've had any extra hardening done to them. My SOG rattles a tiny bit due to the fact that I customised it by adding a GERBER saw-blade attachment in place of a couple of tools that I didn't want, but generally they are not rattly at all. One of the nice tings about the SOG is that you can used standard 1/4 inch hexagon screwdrivers as nut drivers to tighten or loosen the tension on the tools, or fully dismantle them for cleaning.

One small thing, the SOG doesn't have little shims between the tools like the GERBER does, so you sometimes end up pulling out more than one tool, but as they loosen up a little with use it happens less.

JayKay

Hi there,

I use the LM wave for a few years now and I'm one satisfied user. The only thing I had that was, that I cut a piece of my thumb of with it, but beside that all smiles.....

I bought the Deluxe Nylon Sheath with it instead of the Deluxe Leather Sheath, The leather one seems to wear out quicker......

Greetings,

Jeroen Keultjes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE