Which Knife for General Camp / Bushcraft Use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've found if I were rapidly removing heavily resined pine bark from a stick, for what ever reason. The 01 would get more chips in it than the 3V steel Ive been using recently. And even though the 3V is supposed to be harder to sharpen than the 01, because there are less little chips in the blade, it takes less time to resharpen, than it would to resharpen the 01.
So Im quite happy with these supersteels for bushcraft purposes. Like 3V, over 01.
Im using a 3V skookum bushtool right now and cannot see me changing.
I baton with it as well. But I think its important to get it from a reputable manufacturer, to make sure he's heat treated it correctly otherwise it wont work as it should do, and you'll be left scratching your head.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For general camp use I am lucky to own a great selection of Knives - custom, home made and factory run - and like to play with them all in turn.
The knife that gets used most is one I was given - a Dave Budd blade I put a handle on myself ... it lives in my grab bag.
My next most used knife is a Mora - straight factory run - this lives in my workshop/gardening kit.
After that - a Condor Kephart - which lives in my work bag - and then the selection of Custom Knives from folk on here and the Cold Steel, Moras etc that I have used for the blades and rehandled, then the self forged (under the eye of the great Dave Budd) and self made from sheet steel by Stock Removal...
If I was looking for a new General Purpose camp knife I would be looking hard at the Mora Robust or a Condor ... but I would also be looking at rehandling them and making new leather sheaths for them....

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
If you want a solid knife and you don't care about the cool factor than nothing beats Mora. If you want to spend a little extra for a bit more steel Condor and Cold Steel are decent brands to check out.

Same as others, after going through custom knives and Falalknivens and tactical toys and survival blades, I'm using simplest Mora bought second hand for £3...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE