Which Highlander rucksack? ~30-40L

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Morning All,

I am in need of a new small rucksack. I often may need to carry: Waterproofs, Hobo stove, Tarp, Water, Grub, FAK, 4 pers mountain shelter (~6"dia x 8" squashy in stuff sack) etc

My current small daysack is too small but a full bergen is silly for day trips!
  • Looking for something in olive green (not DPM) so it doesn't stick out too much in the woods.
  • Needs to be fairly hard wearing.
  • Needs to be fairly low cost (so Karrimor and Berghaus out of scope).
This has lead my towards the Highlander range of bags:
FORCES-33.html
NRT44-FORCES-44.html
TT40C-TT-PATROL.html

Has anyone any thoughts on these three? I had looked at both ~30L and 40L bags in 'Snow and Rock' and 'Blacks'. 40L didn't seem to silly a size considering that I carry some bulky stuff and may end up carrying extra for the family. More than that began to look like you were out for the week.

Looking at these three bags I am not too sure that I like the small curved side pockets on the Forces33 and 44 bags. I quite like the look of the more boxy pockets on the TT Patrol 40. Actually I think I also prefer the look of the shorter, fatter patrol-style bag as opposed to the slimmer alpine styling of the others.

The question is... what do other folk think from their experience?
30L or 40L?
Has anyone used the Patrol TT. Are there any disadvantages in that style?

Cheers,
Steve

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I have a forces 33 and put in it pretty much what you need. It also has a good rain cover and so far has stood up to whatever i've thrown at it. Very good choice for not a whole lot of money.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Oooh. Three votes for the 33L. Thanks chaps

Anyone any thoughts about the Patrol, which at 40L is just a bit bigger but is a different shape?

Cheers,
Steve

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
My Forces 88 is a nice backpack, holds anything it has to and is comfy on the back once you find the best fitting settings :) If I passed by one of the smaller packs for a decent price I probably wouldn't be able to resist getting one for light weight trips...

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
get yo-urself down to a army surplus store and get a cheap, waxed canvas rucksack, you'll have change from £15 and you can spend the money you saved on beer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE