Which head torch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I really want it just for round the campfire, walking and just generally every day life. I guess if im doing that i don't need a really strong head torch.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have a tacktikka im waiting for it to die so i can buy the petzl myo (the light output on them is amazing) but my tacktikka just wont give up the ghost

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
I have petzl head torch cannot remember the model number but it was around £80 mark and is programmable to do everything but make the tea. Thing is its a bit of a pain constantly fiddling with the controls. It is very very bright when on full but it's difficult to dim down enough for sitting around camp fire. The other problem is this one does not have the red led which is very useful to preserve night vision when checking maps. I would not spend so much money on them again. I would rather carry two cheaper lights as price does not mean it will be any more reliable. Some of the higher end petzl torches get terrible reviews for reliability.

Chris

Just checked it's the myo xp that I have. But I prefer the tikka ranges as I don't need a headlamp strapped me head unless mountain biking at night.

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've had a Petzl Myo RXP on my shopping list for a while now to replace my trusted but aging Tikka 2.

After reading CBR's post on the Zebralights and seeing Shewie's in action, I'm going for one instead. CBR, your info on beam spread and quality (on your other post too) is golden stuff-thanks.

I'm very tempted to go for the H600 , considering all the above as I want the extra power for nightwalking.

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Why would anyone want a powerful spot beam for sitting around a campfire?

1/ I never said anything about a spot beam

2/ The op specified
round the campfire, walking and just generally every day life
so not just sitting around a campfire

3/ All the torches i mentioned have many different settings at various outputs, all because a light has a max output of say 750lm it doesn't men you HAVE to use that every single time you turn it on.

In my experience it's tough to get a light that floods enough for the camp but still throws enough to be useful night hiking.
Now days for the sake of a few grams i tend to just throw in my H502 for the camp.
IMG_1744.jpg

Before that i read on a forum that a 35mm film canister was the exact same size as the SC600's head, so i took a few film canisters camping with me, filled with stuff then used them at night.

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

So even with the SC600 a light that throws a surprising amount for it's size, a quick easy mod makes it a fantastic tent and camp light.

Don't think i've posted this before, here's a size comparison of the SC600 (top) H600 (middle) H502d (bottom)

IMG_1530.jpg

I've had a Petzl Myo RXP on my shopping list for a while now to replace my trusted but aging Tikka 2.

After reading CBR's post on the Zebralights and seeing Shewie's in action, I'm going for one instead. CBR, your info on beam spread and quality (on your other post too) is golden stuff-thanks.

I'm very tempted to go for the H600 , considering all the above as I want the extra power for nightwalking.

I've received THAT much help on the various torch forums that it's really just a case of paying it back in some small way.

My biggest regret is that i just can't seem to get any decent beam shots, my point and shoot cameras just don't pick them up right :banghead:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE