Which head torch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I'm looking to get a new head torch. It nears to be good. I was looking at a petzel nao. But at 135 quid it's a little pricey. Is there any other brands I should be made aware of.
Thanks in advance.
Jacob

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I quite like the 3AAA askalit ones from Chas Ohlson, got a spare one from when they were on buy one get one free.

Still in the box no batteries in it but you can have it if you want, just gavering dust in the spare bits draw.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Zebralight H600

IMG_0364.jpg

Or if you want a bit more throw the SC600, but you will need to buy a headband as the SC600 doesn't come with one.

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

Although the bodies and reflectors are different they both have pretty much exactly the same internals.
Both are 750lm on turbo and both get about the same run time.

The SC600 throws slightly better as it has a deeper reflector.
On the mountain bike at night they're fine on medium most the time except when i'm going downhill as i tend to want a bit more light.
I'm hitting 50mph on those downhills though.

When hiking , they're both MORE than up for the job.
Even on the low medium setting they're bright enough to see over 50 meters in front very very clearly.

I then use the 750lm turbo mode when i'm looking for paths and trying to see which direction they go.

Both great torches though i highly recommend either.

Cheers
Mark

Silva Ninox:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0048SZ0...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0048SZ0RS

My favourite to date - durable, incredibly bright at it's highest setting (I usually switch it straight to it's lowest), one button operation, showerproof, takes common AAA batteries and has a red LED which protects your night vision. Note: tested at walking pace only.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the batteries go into the torch unit - so no rear battery pack - very important when reading lying down!

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I've tried various ones from cheapies to expensive ones and they all pretty much do the same thing - they light up and fit on my head - so they're all good as far as I'm concerned. Depends how much you want to pay for the basic function they serve.

Jun 26, 2010
The Netherlands
I use the Petzl Tactikka XP. It's a great headlight, lots of light and it doesn't use batteries very quickly.
It has some coloured lenses, red, green and blue and a white one wich disperses the bundle.

Gr HJ

Last edited:

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Ive owned a few different makes of headtorch over the years the best of which being my current Zebralight. It is used daily without fail and has thus far given me 4 years of faultless service. Nice floody beam with super useful light level adjustments as you would expect from led torches of this day and age. If i need throw I will use a handheld flashlight in conjunction with my headtorch. This is the best set-up I have found for both general use, search and rescue and night nav.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
UKP 135 certainly is "a bit pricey". I paid USD 12 for a walmart special which does everything I need (I don;t run, or ride a bike at night) in the woods, and can be adjusted for reading in bed (or hammock) weighs 81 gms with 3 AAA batteries. Claims to run for 51 hours.I have been using it regularly for two years now without problems. I see that Class Ohlsen have a similar spec one for UKP 6.50. I can't think of any reason why you should pay more.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I've tried various ones from cheapies to expensive ones and they all pretty much do the same thing - they light up and fit on my head - so they're all good as far as I'm concerned. Depends how much you want to pay for the basic function they serve.

True if they're working they are mostly alike.

I've tried cheap torches and some work for ages, some work for a while, others fail pretty much out the box.
Problem for me is i've got to the point where i just cannot trust cheaper torches from non reputable torches.

It got to the stage where i took 3 Chinese specials out with me last year and all 3 failed within 2 nights for no apparent reason.

If your at home it's no real disaster, but if your halfway round a night hike over extremely rocky terrain i tend to want a torch i have faith in.

The other thing i've found with cheap torches is:
Batteries don't seem to last as long (possible cheaper less efficient electronics)
The tint can be very hit and miss and i've not found a torch under £20 that gave a tint i liked yet.

Horses for courses, but for me i prefer to spend a bit more and have something i trust.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Thanks for all your help guys. I actually have an alpkit gamma. I find it good but doesn't have such a great throw on it. Does the type of batteries you use have much of an effect. ATM I'm just using pound land packs of ten. Sound like its between a zebra light or petzel takktika xl.
What do you guys think?
Thanks for all the help.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Have you looked at the Lenser ones? I do a bit of night-time fell running, and I get on ok with the H7, I think it is. not too pricey, sixty(ish) quid as I recall. Weatherproof, too.
Long spot beam, flood, and adjustable brightnes, all by two easy to use even with gloves knobs. Batteries in a pack on the back of a headband.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Have you looked at the Lenser ones? I do a bit of night-time fell running, and I get on ok with the H7, I think it is. not too pricey, sixty(ish) quid as I recall. Weatherproof, too.
Long spot beam, flood, and adjustable brightnes, all by two easy to use even with gloves knobs. Batteries in a pack on the back of a headband.

Yeh i did think about the lenser one. I will have another look now.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Its good to see Petzl have changed the body mouldings for the taktikka. I had 2 of the older shape tikka's and both failed at the same point. The plastic moulding cracked meaning the unit would not stay shut. It was really this plastic failure that led me toward a metal bodied head torch and hence the zebralight.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
What do you want the torch for? Night-time runs, or walks, or just around the campfire/tent? If it's the latter, that widgy little petzl e-lite jobby would be fine, and weighs next to nowt.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Spot on post, I've accumulated maybe half a dozen over the years, not expensive and everyone of them still work, not had a failure yet. So long as I can see a few metres ahead the torch has filled its purpose for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE