Which hatchet should I choose?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
After trying (and buying) so many, I believe the Husquvarna hatchet at about £25 is the best you can get. I have carved a flatbow and a paddle with mine from scratch. Heavy-ish head ensures reasonable cutting power and makes it a good splitter, but overall lightness means you can use it all day. Head profile makes it a good spitter and carver.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31+rU777tUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

Looks good to me.
Postage to New Zealand might be more expensive than buying a new one though? I've not looked into it but surely there's Husqvarna, Stihl*, Oregon* and Gedore* hatchets for sale in NZ?

They are usually well priced over here anyway.

*Pretty much the same product as far as I can tell and all made in Germany by the OX Head (ochsenkopf) company.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Craftsman was/is the store brand of tools for Sears and Roebuck department store (usually just referred to as Sears) Their handtools (specifically mechnics' tools) were some of the best made with a lifetime warranty and rival Snap-On. They still carry that warranty although now-a-days they are made overseas. That said, I haven't noticed any real drop in the quality; the one in that link looks like one of the older American ones anyway.

If you still are interested in a Plumb, just search e-bay again. They're quite a lot of them on there and if you really look, you'll find quite a few with the BSA logo on them (although be advised, the BSA ones are a bit smaller as they were sized for the Scouts)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'd say so yes.

Isn't there a New Zealand eBay? Postage from the states would be a killer surely?

Andy

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm with mac on this one. There are loads of good American axes but the postage costs would certainly negate any savings I believe.

Hatchet

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2012
New Zealand
Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renovation/tools/other/auction-523904970.htm

Any good?

It might be wiser not to get bogged down with brand names. Yes there are a lot if good axe brands in the states. But an axe is a simple tool. I have a coupe of unbranded axes that are every bit as good as the ones with a recognised maker stamped on them.

They usually just need a lot more sharpening. Lol
Andy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think you'll be happy with your Plumb (if it's sized big enough for an adult; some are; some aren't) At any rate it's a great collector's piece; in fact that in itself may detract a bit from your enjoyment using it; the fear of losing or damaging a favored collectible.

As I said I still have mine from 40 years ago when I was in the Scouts. I wish I had also kept the 3/4 Plumb axe but i gave it to a younger cousin when he went into the Scouts and I have no idea where it ended up.

But most of the axes I've used over the years were either no name or cheaper names like Collins. And I've used a lot. All of them were good axes TBH. The only reason I reccomended AGAINST the True Temper in you links was the one piece metal handle. True Termper is also a good brand, I just couldn't reccomend that model (and that's only my personal preference) As mac said, an axe is just a tool (and a fairly simple tool at that)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just had a peek on New Zealands Ebay and some of those Plumbs look quite nice actually, seems a good selection of those.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE