Which hat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wilt

Dec 4, 2004
Ohio, USA
If I wanted a hat that could take everything thrown at it and still provide protection from sun and rain and look decent then the Tilley would be my hands down choice. I always take my Tilley traveling because modern travel is very unfriendly to hats...never a place to put a good hat on a plane, restaurant, but I need a hat badly in the sun....no hair, and stuffing the Tilley in a bag, or in my coat pocket really works.

Now a nice fur felt just has style and provides all the necessary protection but I am less willing to stuff it in a bag (even though it could be done) because I sort of like the nice look I get with it....vanity and all you know.

Temperature also plays a role; the Tilley is really a 4 season hat for me. The first image I have an alpaca knit hat under it for warmth, the Tilley providing shade and rain protection. My felt hat is more a 3 season hat...really too warm in the summer.

So for me it was never a choice between an Akubra and a Tilley...both were required and get used based on the circumstances.

I am currently saving up for an Akubra Bushman

1606_detail.jpg

This one should accept rough treatment a bit better than the finer Lightning Ridge. It is an open crown in their standard weight fur.

One can never have enough hats....especially if one has not enough hair.

Schwert well said! I feel you are right on the money.

Hello Lithril, I have two cotton duck T3 Tilley’s (one in olive and one in khaki with olive under brim). They are tuff hats meant for traveling. They fold up, wash-up, and clean up excellent. They are extremely comfortable to wear because they sit low and loose on your head. The hats stay on in windy conditions via an adjustable; tuck away cord that attaches both behind the head (which I mostly use) and under the chin. For this reason I fear more so loosing my baseball cap than my Tilley. What more can I say? It’s obvious to see I’m sold on them.

Sincerely,
Mark

BushFire

May 30, 2007
Cambridgeshire UK
In my opinion army surplus shop are the best places to buy hats cos its usually pretty cheap and you can find some bargains.(i have a jack pyke hat atm)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE