Which Hammock & Tarp combo ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Now i'me a tent man through an through, i love my tent, Mountain equipment base tent. Truly amazing. But,

I'me looking at either a hammock and tarp set up for when i go hunting, or a Bivvy.

I can see the benefits of being off the floor and under cover, so the Tarp/Basha direction is pulling me more.

I dont know anything about the set ups, makes, quality or prices so could i have some directional suggestions please :)

Mark

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I use a Hennesy Expedition Asym with a variety of tarps. This is my first hammock and love it.

In summer I use the tarp that comes with the hammock, but this barely covers it, so if the weather looks like it is going to be windy and wet I use an Army shelter sheet to give a larger covered area.

For base camping / car camping I have just bought a 4.5m x 4.5m Tatonka tarp, this is truly huge but my son wants to be under the same tarp as me and it gives us plenty of room under cover for cooking etc.

HTH

Simon

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I just got my first Hammock and Tarp from DD Hammocks and have had it out a couple of times, the last time was beside Loch Tay in Perthshire Scotland in November last year
I was very pleased with it. I was lying in mmy Hammock at 9am when many of the others in Bivvys and Tents were up at 6am lighting their fires, Either I am a lazy sod or just warm and comfortable in my wee "sling" I have camped in small tents all my life but have no hesitation in recommending that you try a Hammock. I got the Travel model combination. It has a Midge Screen and can be used with or without it. Great value.
Watch out for Bulk buys on this sight.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I just got my first Hammock and Tarp from DD Hammocks and have had it out a couple of times, the last time was beside Loch Tay in Perthshire Scotland in November last year
I was very pleased with it. I was lying in mmy Hammock at 9am when many of the others in Bivvys and Tents were up at 6am lighting their fires, Either I am a lazy sod or just warm and comfortable in my wee "sling" I have camped in small tents all my life but have no hesitation in recommending that you try a Hammock. I got the Travel model combination. It has a Midge Screen and can be used with or without it. Great value.
Watch out for Bulk buys on this sight.

Haha! I'll second that recommendation, though with my Woodland Edge/WanderinStar underblanket I slept until 10am one morning at the Middlewood meet - Toasty :D

The Hennessy hex-fly from the recent group buy is an excellent alternative to the DD tarp, which is tougher but quite a bit heavier.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Cheers guys, i'le do some digging on the equipment you have suggested.

I might take you up on that offer Matt, just to get a feel for it, i dont know how i wouls like it after spending 30 years on the ground :)

Mark

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Cheers guys, i'le do some digging on the equipment you have suggested.

I might take you up on that offer Matt, just to get a feel for it, i dont know how i wouls like it after spending 30 years on the ground :)

Mark

Absolutely, try afore ye buy is always sensible if possible and I'm only 10 minutes away. It'll be a good excuse to come to your park :)

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
I had my first night out last night in a DD Travel Hammock from the recent group buy, and while I didn't sleep that well due to the cold (need a warmer sleeping bag for the cold nights), in terms of comfort it had the tent beat hands down - got up and my back felt marvellous - always seems to take 30mins+ of stretching out to get my back sorted when sleeping in a tent...

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I had my first night out last night in a DD Travel Hammock from the recent group buy, and while I didn't sleep that well due to the cold (need a warmer sleeping bag for the cold nights), in terms of comfort it had the tent beat hands down - got up and my back felt marvellous - always seems to take 30mins+ of stretching out to get my back sorted when sleeping in a tent...

What did you use for insulation? For cold weather, nothing beats a properly fitted underblanket of some description. A thermarest is fine for the rest of the year, unless it's too hot to use any insulation.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
What did you use for insulation? For cold weather, nothing beats a properly fitted underblanket of some description. A thermarest is fine for the rest of the year, unless it's too hot to use any insulation.

I've just bought one from Snufkin, but last night I had a closed-cell mat AND a thermarest mat, plus sleeping bag, silk liner and wool blanket. The main issue was actually with my sleeping bag I think - it's not really a 4-season one, and this is by far the coldest I've camped out it.. (I usually camp in summer/autumn.. ;))

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
have u thought about buying a cheap netting hammock to see if you like hammocking first

Somebody on here once described sleeping in a net hammock as comfortable but you wake up looking like Pinhead from Hellraiser

Rich

If you like the look of the Hennessy stuff, Jack has got an Expedition for £60 in the classifieds. i`ve got one and it`s awesome.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
What do people think about the woodlandedge hammock? I'm not convinced that the diamomd shaped tarp would work well in Scotland where it knows how to rain and there are often strong sidewinds. Any comments very welcome:D

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
i'm doing another dd group buy in may if anybody is interested

:eek:
Glutton for punishment ;)

/offtopic
Bought myself a Marmot Wave III Long sleeping bag the other day - 1.8kg, pretty hefty, but rated for comfort down to -5, so will be fine for my next night out camping.. :)
/ontopic

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
/offtopic
Bought myself a Marmot Wave III Long sleeping bag the other day - 1.8kg, pretty hefty, but rated for comfort down to -5, so will be fine for my next night out camping.. :)
/ontopic

Remember that using a liner with a sleeping bag bumps it up around a season.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE