Decent bivvy shelter suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
You should get the best of both worlds with the DD jungle hammock. Up until reading that I was about to suggest the Snugpak Stratosphere as another hooped bivi option. I don't own one but it gets pretty good reviews and ticked all your boxes.

Enjoy your camping trip and let us know how you get on.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
People overlook it, seems to fit your requirements spot on (OP).......£20 plus, Polish Lavvu, from Military Mart. Love it so much, I bought two!

I had considered one of those, but I'm trying to avoid tenting (which that sort of is!). I think they're a superb idea though, and will have to try a couple.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
You should get the best of both worlds with the DD jungle hammock. Up until reading that I was about to suggest the Snugpak Stratosphere as another hooped bivi option. I don't own one but it gets pretty good reviews and ticked all your boxes.

Enjoy your camping trip and let us know how you get on.

I used the Superlight Jungle hammock and its additional jungle tarp which attaches to the top of the hammock for an overnighter down in Devon. Slept very well, but that could have been due to the previous festivities!

I need to sort out how I hang the thing though as a photo of it with me in it shows that it's very bowed, and therefore likely far from its most comfortable positioning.

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
Nobody seems to have commented on the Wynnchester bedroll so far so I feel obliged to say I do love mine! It is heavy and pricey however the overall experience and durability makes up for it. It's warm waterproof and breathable and I have to face facts - I am lazy and suck at knots and faffing about so it's great to be able to literally just roll the shelter out and jump in (ok slight exaggeration...) I have tried every alternative (or similar) discussed in this thread but this does remain a firm favourite under the right circumstances. Versus a hooped bivvy (nearest comparison?) it's heavier, more roomy warm secure feeling and comfy; it's a very dark space when zipped up and pack size is much larger. If you like the idea of canvas it's a winner... so long as you aren't hauling it too far!

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Nobody seems to have commented on the Wynnchester bedroll so far so I feel obliged to say I do love mine! It is heavy and pricey however the overall experience and durability makes up for it. It's warm waterproof and breathable and I have to face facts - I am lazy and suck at knots and faffing about so it's great to be able to literally just roll the shelter out and jump in (ok slight exaggeration...) I have tried every alternative (or similar) discussed in this thread but this does remain a firm favourite under the right circumstances. Versus a hooped bivvy (nearest comparison?) it's heavier, more roomy warm secure feeling and comfy; it's a very dark space when zipped up and pack size is much larger. If you like the idea of canvas it's a winner... so long as you aren't hauling it too far!

I've been communicating with another Wynnchester owner and he photos they've shown do make it look really superb when deployed, so it's good to hear you recommend it so highly. But the weight and packed size just kill it off for me due to the need for a vehicle to enjoyably transport it.

If I was to go for a vehicle option though, the Grand Solo 2 would be a very close competitor to the Wynnchester, but it's even bigger when packed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE